Author Topic: PseudoPod 636: Hag Ride  (Read 2619 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: February 27, 2019, 05:10:59 AM
PseudoPod 636: Hag Ride

Author: Eden Royce
Narrator: Rasheedah Prioleau
Host: Alasdair Stuart

“Hag Ride” was originally published in Steamy Screams from Blood Bound Books (2011), then in the author’s collection Spook Lights: Southern Gothic Horror (2015)

Frieda stood in the kitchen’s dull light with a chopping knife clutched in one hand. The dinner on the table lay untouched, ice-cold and bathing in congealing fat. Her cinnamon coloring disguised the angry flare of heat in her cheeks. Still, she knew yelling wouldn’t get her husband’s attention, so she forced a calm tone into her voice.

“Why aren’t you staying for dinner? I made your favorite.”

“I told you, I got to go out.” Henry came out of their bedroom, buttoning up his good shirt and tucking it into slacks she had taken her time to iron that morning.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:42:32 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

PodBroad

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 01:18:53 PM
Well, I didn't like this story at all, but that's "just my opinion," as they say.
What astounds me is the failure to put an R rating on it.
There have been PG ratings on other stories with mere "language" and drug use. Not sure how this slipped through the cracks with cruelty, mutilation and sexual content.

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 05:51:46 AM
I ended up fast forwarding through most of the sexual torture. I'm not a big fan of body horror, and when I came back toward the end, it didn't seem as though I had missed anything important.
I thought the basic story arc was interesting, but I just didn't want to go through all that with him.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 03:49:16 AM

What astounds me is the failure to put an R rating on it.
There have been PG ratings on other stories with mere "language" and drug use. Not sure how this slipped through the cracks with cruelty, mutilation and sexual content.

Our sister podcasts do the MPAA-style ratings, not us.

WARNING: This is a podcast of horror fiction. The stories presented here are intended to disturb. They are likely to contain death, graphic violence, explicit sex (including sexual violence), hate crimes, blasphemy, or other themes and images that hook deep into your psyche. We do not promise to provide ratings or specific content warnings. We assume by your listening that you wish to be disturbed for your entertainment. If there are any themes that you cannot deal with in fiction, that are too strongly personal to you, please do not listen.

Pseudopod is for mature audiences only. Hardly any story on Pseudopod is suitable for children. We mean this very seriously.

Source: http://pseudopod.org/about-us/

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:51:58 AM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

PodBroad

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 12:50:58 PM

Yes, I forgot about that warning before each show. My mistake.
I was so used to ghouls and spooks and aliens in this podcast. Not so much sexual horror. It came as a very unpleasant surprise.

Metalsludge

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 10:19:16 PM
A little too by the numbers for me. It starts with Henry's genitalia being threatened, and ends with the threat carried out, kinda predictably.

My favorite version of this type of scenario is the story by Fritz Leiber, named The Night He Cried, in which an alien tries to explain to a serial killer the error if his ways, through showing him love. Love with plenty of tentacles involved. The humor of that one helps carry it.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:50 PM
Heh heh. I just assume all PseudoPod episodes have an R-rating. It's a HORROR podcast. It takes a gruesome episode like THIS to remind me of that fact. Thank you for giving me a sharp kick in the complacency. It's up to ME to monitor the content and turn it off if it upsets me too much.

Pseudopod, don't you DARE dilute the stories. Keep that strong meat a-coming, eh.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 06:41:43 PM
Well, I am officially swearing off both adultery and cheese curds for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:02:28 PM by Marlboro »