Author Topic: PC435: Bilingual, Or Mouth To Mouth  (Read 6036 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: September 29, 2016, 01:23:51 AM
PodCastle 435: Bilingual, Or Mouth To Mouth

by Lisa M. Bradley

read by Roberto Suarez

“Who’s that buenona?” Maz lowered his plastic cup to get an unobstructed view of the scowler.

No way she could’ve heard us over the Mexican electronica blaring from someone’s trunk speakers, or the laughter and conversations spiking the lot behind the Hinojosa house. Still, she lowered her cigarette and turned in our direction, exhaling like she wished secondhand smoke killed faster. Despite skin sun-baked brown, her eyes were blue, and eerie as cat-shine.

“Never seen her before,” I said. Redundantly, because Maz and I went near-everywhere together—sometimes he followed me into the bathroom; dude had no sense of boundaries—so of course if he didn’t recognize the girl, neither would I.

First published in Lisa’s first short fiction and poetry collection, The Haunted Girl, available on Amazon or direct from the publisher, Aqueduct Press.

Rated R.

Forged in the scalding heat of South Texas, Lisa M. Bradley now lives in Iowa with her spouse, child, and two cats. More of her imaginings, always inflected by her Latina heritage, are forthcoming in Solarpunk Press, Strange Horizons, and the Sunvault anthology. Her collection of short fiction and poetry is The Haunted Girl (Aqueduct Press). For more, follow her on Twitter (@cafenowhere) or visit her website: www.lisambradley.com.

Roberto Suarez is a monthly supporter of all Escape Artist Productions and has had the privilege of narrating stories for PodCastle, PseudoPod, and Escape Pod. He is the co-host and producer of “A Pod of Casts: The Game of Thrones Podcast” and the upcoming “Radio Westworld,” a podcast dedicated to HBO’s latest sci-fi series. You can find Roberto on the web at robertosuarez.me, or on Twitter @PuertoGeekan.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:27:26 PM by Talia »

alexr

• Extern
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:35:26 PM
I loved this one! The idea of magical supertasters was fascinating, and some of the imagery was incredible – the phrase 'her voice sounded like an alka-seltzer' was particularly lovely. Roberto Suarez's reading was also wonderful, and really got me emotionally invested in the characters. I'm definitely going back over the archives to listen to the other stories he's narrated.

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 08:33:11 PM
This story had a couple of interesting ideas and executed on them well. I liked the tasting super power combined with the problem of the three wishes, two ideas that could have been stories in their own right but melded together nicely. the narration was excellent as well. Thanks all around.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 06:17:54 PM by Frank Evans »

Jethro's belt

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:08:10 PM
More fun like this please.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 02:01:52 PM
This was fun and cool.  In particular, I liked the detailed rules around the fae that both fit into some of the fae legends but also put their own particular spin on it.  That is, you get wishes isn't new, but the reason for it being the human taint needing to be washed away was a cool addition.

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:00:02 PM
Oh, yet another "Coming of age story turned magical threesome" story. *yawn*

Okay, no, not yawn, but definitely more of a "baroo?" response complete with cocked head and baffled stare. And aren't they killing Maz? So confused.

I liked how the protagonist's descriptions of Maz changed my perception of the guy as the story progressed. He starts out being described as a teenage lech and at best socially inept, but over time we get to see that he's a sweet, protective guy to those he cares about. Impulsive and not so smart about it, but more sympathetic as a person, in any case.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:17:52 AM

Okay, no, not yawn, but definitely more of a "baroo?" response complete with cocked head and baffled stare. And aren't they killing Maz? So confused.

Glad I wasn't the only one thrown for a loop by those final lines. Did I miss some foreshadowing?

Outside of that, I really dug the setting and the worldbuilding and the characters.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 12:36:37 AM

Glad I wasn't the only one thrown for a loop by those final lines. Did I miss some foreshadowing?

Outside of that, I really dug the setting and the worldbuilding and the characters.

I think there *was* some foreshadowing of Maz liking the MC in that Maz was always so physically close to the MC and also so very willing to kiss him ... but yeah, it was a lot and sudden.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:57 AM

I think there *was* some foreshadowing of Maz liking the MC in that Maz was always so physically close to the MC and also so very willing to kiss him ... but yeah, it was a lot and sudden.

But he also mentioned that Maz had no concept of personal space with anyone. Considering the depth of information we receive from the protagonist's POV, I would have expected a little more hinting (self aware or not) if he was in love with Maz.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Abrigella

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 09:08:01 PM
I think I've listened to this podcast at least three times. I live in South Texas, it's so nice to read a story set down here. I loved the characters! Especially Hada, she had the proper distain for humans that I would expect from one of her kind. I plan on reading as much of the author as I can get ahold of. Now I'm going to go listen to it again.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 06:09:53 PM
I really enjoyed how intricately woven this one was. All of the little pieces really came together at the end! The relationships felt very real to me, especially the friendship between the two boys. I don't remember it having a romantic twist at the end? Maybe I missed something...

Oh, and fantastic narration!

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 09:03:07 PM
The closing of the story - that last bit in context is rather open to interpretation:

“Hell yeah,” I said hoarsely, wishing I could pull her in. “Kiss me.”

“God,” Maz muttered behind me. “Get a room.”

Hada smiled, eyes going full starburst. Context clues for the win, I guessed. I slung an arm heavy with heat over Maz’s leg as Hada leaned closer. “Like you wouldn’t be banging on the other side of the door,” I croaked.

“Damn straight,” Maz said, sounding hoarse, too. “Who else’s gonna help you make desmadre?”

Desmadre, or magic? (Or both?) Whatever it was, we were making it, the three of us. I squeezed his leg and kissed her mouth and in the burst of burgundy heat that followed, we all learned a new language.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 06:45:21 PM
Thanks for the text, Fenrix!

Okay, without the leg squeezing I would say this is clearly just a friend who is way too close and therefore comfortable being in the room with the couple, if they let him be. With the leg squeezing... without any other clues I'm going to go with the same interpretation but adding a *baroo??* at the end. ::)

awfulhorrid

• Extern
  • Woof!
    • Linuxdog.net
Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 07:28:09 PM
I don't know, that foreshadowing came through loud and clear to me, long before the end. Beto read as bi/pansexual to me, if only because he was very specific when he said "I hadn’t kissed a lot of people." Most heterosexual males don't really leave it that open ended, but would say women or girls. He goes on to say that most of them hadn't worn lipstick, although since even my cis-female partners usually don't wear lipstick very often, that's not quite as clear an indicator of his potential orientation. I don't remember what else made me think Beto was pan, but I wasn't really surprised by the ending, although I did cheer a bit!

If nothing else, I read his character as a subtly written bi/pansexual character, but maybe I'm just happy to find representation where I can. I loved the story over all, even if that wasn't the intent. That was just icing on the cake for me.

I strongly support the right to be different!
Equality != Liberty
Do you need me to give the Linux / Creative Commons / FOSS lecture?

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 09:00:49 PM
The particular sexual orientation wasn't surprising to me. But that's not really the same as telegraphing a threesome.

awfulhorrid

• Extern
  • Woof!
    • Linuxdog.net
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 02:28:28 AM
Ah, I get you. I can think of comments from Beto that made me think he'd accept Maz as more than a friend, but nothing concrete, yeah. Then again, I'm reading the actual ending as fairly open ... that may or may not have been a kind of merging which could be similar to something humans would call a "threesome." Maybe it was just something based on the underlying people involved. Neither Beto nor Hada were completely human, although of course Beto was raised among humans. Maz ... well, I don't know, he did seem OK with the idea of kissing Beto, although I would have preferred he get consent first because I'm like that. Maybe this was just something that Hada's people found to be normal. (Heck, even many of us humans are fine with >2 configurations, although again, I want to talk through things with all participants first!)

I strongly support the right to be different!
Equality != Liberty
Do you need me to give the Linux / Creative Commons / FOSS lecture?

bounceswoosh

• Matross
Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 02:44:32 AM
Ah, I get you. I can think of comments from Beto that made me think he'd accept Maz as more than a friend, but nothing concrete, yeah. Then again, I'm reading the actual ending as fairly open ... that may or may not have been a kind of merging which could be similar to something humans would call a "threesome." Maybe it was just something based on the underlying people involved. Neither Beto nor Hada were completely human, although of course Beto was raised among humans. Maz ... well, I don't know, he did seem OK with the idea of kissing Beto, although I would have preferred he get consent first because I'm like that. Maybe this was just something that Hada's people found to be normal. (Heck, even many of us humans are fine with >2 configurations, although again, I want to talk through things with all participants first!)

Yeah, that's fair. My smutty mind only seriously considered the sexy times interpretation =)