Author Topic: CoW Ep. 215: Banned Books Week – Problematic (and Ep. 227 Staff Picks)  (Read 2669 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Episode 215: Banned Books Week – Problematic by Brian Lawrence Hurrel

(edit: This is also Episode 227, as Assistant Editor Dani Daly's Staff Pick for 2016!)

• Narrated by Tatiana Grey
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Banned Books Weeks 2016 photograph courtesy of Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!

Brian Lawrence Hurrel is a lifelong science fiction fan, and is especially fond of Golden Age stories from the forties and fifties. His fiction has appeared in the science journal Nature and magazines such as Daily Science Fiction and Bete Noir. A former high school English and History teacher, he now makes a living as a technical writer and communications consultant. His previous occupations over the years include machine assembler, carpet installer, cab driver, and US Marine. He lives in New Jersey with his wife and son. You can follow him on Twitter.

Tatiana Grey is a critically acclaimed actress of stage, screen, and the audio booth. She has been nominated for dozens of fancy awards but hasn’t won a single damned thing. She went to NYU and lives in Brooklyn, New York. You can follow her online or on Twitter.

The Main Office is as spartan as the the rest of the campus. Three plain gray metal folding chairs arranged in front of Headmistress Dinali’s equally plain and unadorned wooden desk. In one of the chairs the slim ten-year- old frame of Luna Vega-MacPherson squirms restlessly, twisting strands of dark curly hair around a forefinger, and not at all trying to disguise her boredom. In the other two chairs sit her parents, looking equally uncomfortable but for different reasons.

Click here to listen to Episode 215
Click here to listen to Episode 227
Click here to read the text of the story

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn more about The Freedom to Read Foundation, an advocacy group that deals with a wide range of issues affecting our freedom of speech and our right to access information. A growing part of their mission is to educate librarians, library patrons, and the general public about issues related to the freedom to read and our right to access information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tags: Banned Books Week, books, Brian Lawrence Hurrel, Cast of Wonders, censorship, content warnings, education, exploration, Jeremy Carter, literature, school, Science Fiction, Tatiana Grey, trigger warnings, Young Adult fiction

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:49:24 PM by danooli »

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:51:12 PM
Note: This episode has been renumbered to be in line sequentially now, and the issue with not being able to download through your podcatcher should now be resolved. Thank you for sticking with us!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 04:44:15 AM
Y'all are sadistic for trying to get folks to read Melville. Other than that, I liked this one a lot.

Also didn't realize Tatiana changed her name! Excellent performance.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”