Author Topic: Is there anyone like Issac Asimov today?  (Read 8346 times)

TwoXForr

• Extern
    • Stories from the Mind* and Keyboard of A.A. Forringer
on: October 16, 2016, 04:52:16 PM
Issac Asimov was an incredibley intelligent and prolific writer, will books fitting into 9 of 10 categories in the Dewey Decimal system.  (no books devoted exclusively to philosophy) (although his 3 laws of robotics could probably while fill multiple books).

Is there anyone like him today? 

"Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it." Ayn Rand.

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 02:09:11 AM
I would say that science is more complex now and more specialized so people are less likely to be able to contribute in as many areas as asimov and clark and the like were able to. That being said there are alot of scientists and it professional types who write sci-fi and contributearticles to magazines, none come to mind atm but reading the bio's on escape pod episodes might point you in the proper direction.

KarenHeinz

• Extern
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 09:28:37 AM
1. He wrote an incredible universe of books
2. He wrote more sci-fi series than anyone else
3. He wrote the best sci-fi short story of all time

jeff34

• Extern
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:36:54 AM
For the sciency, I generally think of Greg Egan. His books are sometimes a little tough to wrap your head around initially.

aignerloren

• Extern
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 04:24:14 PM
I feel like Rich Larson is a modern day Asimov. He tends to put out tons of stories and each one tends to have a larger philosophical debate or question at the heart that he lays out in a very similar way. His writing isn't as hard boned as Asimov but he's output is getting there.

jordanshiveley

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 08:46:28 PM
Yep there are totally still creepy alleged sexual predator authors in SF to this day. Wild I know.

I write and design things. Sometimes they make sense.