Author Topic: Pseudopod 515: The Magician’s Apprentice  (Read 3668 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: November 06, 2016, 05:33:54 AM
Pseudopod 515: The Magician’s Apprentice

by Tamsyn Muir.

“The Magician’s Apprentice” was first printed in Weird Tales, Issue #358 for Winter 2012 and was reprinted in The Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy 2013, edited by Rich Horton and The Best Horror of the Year: Volume Five, edited by Ellen Datlow.

TAMSYN MUIR is a horror, fantasy and sci-fi author whose works have appeared in Nightmare Magazine, F&SF, Fantasy Magazine, Weird Tales and Clarkesworld. She is a graduate of Clarion 2010, and was a 2012 Shirley Jackson Award nominee this story. She is a 2015 Nebula Award nominee and 2015 Eugie Foster Memorial Award for Short Fiction for her novelette “The Deepwater Bride”. She is from Howick, New Zealand. She blogs from tumblr and Tweets from Twitter.

Your narrator – Louise Ratcliffe is a scientist, artist and stay-home Mum. She lives in New Zealand having moved there from England 12 years ago when her Maori husband brought her home. They have 3 children, 3 cats, 9 chickens, 8 ducks and a goat called Steve. She spends her time creating Art Yarn, and knitting body parts and blankets. Her work can be seen on Facebook at her Top o’ the Meadow fibre art page, or you can find her on Ravelry as Giggigoofer.

Pseudopod has launched our TEN YEAR Kickstarter! CHECK IT OUT!

The CAST OF WONDERS Flash Fiction Contest info can be accessed at the link.

Info on Anders Manga’s album (they do our theme music!) can be found here.

When she was thirteen, Mr. Hollis told her: “There’s never more than two, Cherry. The magician and the magician’s apprentice.”

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 05:42:02 PM
An enjoyable romp. I found it a little on the nose given the intertextual references on top of heavy foreshadowing.

If you'll pardon the reference, I found the outro to be the teriyaki sauce to the story.

CogShoggoth

• Extern
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:18:27 PM
Loved "The Magician's Apprentice".

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Metalsludge

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:19:10 AM
This was excellently written, as expected from a story that got so much editorial attention and critical acclaim. But, like others, I was left with mixed feelings about the tropes and the foreshadowing in the execution of them. My favorite story with this kind of adolescent plus older partner in crime setup was Gemma Files' Emperor's Old Bones story, though that one was grimly cynical from the start, whereas this one attempts to creep up on you. Files' story also reversed the genders and ran with the possible romantic connection as a plot point. Naturally, both stories end up in the same place though - the dinner table.

What I like to think is that while, yes, the story is a bit on the nose with its foreshadowing and literary references and so on (I think the average horror reader can guess well ahead of schedule where talk of eating life force and such is headed in a story.), it is still an enjoyable attempt by the author to play with some pretty familiar tropes involving a very young character with an older mentor, with the issues of attraction, and potential sexual tension, often seen in such stories thrown into the mix, but in a way that could subvert our expectations.

The author must have been aware of this possible expectation on the part of the reader regarding a vulnerable young character, and the story accordingly swerves around this issue while never completely leaving it. The younger character muses on occasion on the older one's appearance, age and possible attractiveness, even though she at first insists she can't imagine his being appealing amidst all this sizing up. We eventually discover that her view of him as ancient is more tied to her own perspective as a very young person as he is not really a stereotypical elderly sorcerer, but only in his thirties throughout the story, even as she seems to relentlessly grow closer to him and passes judgments on his associating with any others besides herself romantically. But then, any even potential advances are only made by the teen, and are firmly rebuffed by the seemingly caring older person as the reader is gradually invited to view his caring as sincere and the relationship boundaries as appropriate, and perhaps even a healthy alternative to the company of her alcoholic father. And so, a tender story of growing up with help from a caring special someone is revealed? Um, no.

Of course, then the hammer we all knew was coming finally falls, and the mentor character even straight up states that he has in fact taken advantage, just not in a sexual way, by having knowingly eaten her childhood, and has brought her to something perhaps worse than victim-hood - having groomed her instead for becoming a killer. All along, the encouragement of reading, learning and growing maturity was all just a setup for eventually having to deal with the reality of the feeding.

The reader also must come to the conclusion that the premature aging of the mentor will be passed onto the apprentice. This seems a particularly raw deal, considering that cannibal or vampiric pursuits usually impart youth in these kinds of stories. Not so here, as it's all a big pit of ravenous consumption, of others, of the self, of childhood, and even of one's very vitality. For what? Being able to move marbles around with your mind? Maybe something more, but we never find out what that may be. But then, those learning a craft often do work themselves to early aging through obsession, and misery loves company. So I suppose it all makes a twisted sense in the end.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 03:43:42 PM
This one was hard to read because of all the nasty grooming behaviors here.  For me the reveal that it was all rooted in cannibalism gave it almost a lighthearted feel compared to the rest simply because cannibalism in the modern world is very rare, but abusive grooming behaviors are much less rare, so throughout most of the story I was having constant anxiety about the very real danger of the grooming, and at the end the reveal of the cannibalism was almost a moment of levity in comparison.  Does that make sense?  Does anyone else feel that way about it, I wonder?

Anyway, I thought it was very effectively told, though hard to listen to because all of that felt like something very real that it felt like reading a true story (apart from the magicky stuff but for me the grooming was always the focus with the magic being just the carrot to draw the victim in).

But then, any even potential advances are only made by the teen, and are firmly rebuffed by the seemingly caring older person as the reader is gradually invited to view his caring as sincere and the relationship boundaries as appropriate, and perhaps even a healthy alternative to the company of her alcoholic father. And so, a tender story of growing up with help from a caring special someone is revealed? Um, no.

Hmmm.... I never got the impression he was a caring, sincere, or otherwise positive effect on her in any way.  To me that just seemed to be part of the grooming.  It seemed to be what I think is called negging, giving praise in a condescending way in order to wear down the self-esteem of your target.  In this case making it clear he finds her attractive but at the same time acting repelled.

dagny

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:09:26 PM
I loved absolutely everything about this story.

"Wolfman's got nards!"

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 01:25:08 PM
I think if I had not started this story knowing it was in the horror genre it would have been more effective. I almost forgot it was almost certainly going to get very dark by the end at some of the earlier parts. By the goat meat scene it was pretty clear where it was going though. Overall I really liked it.