Author Topic: PC Miniature 93: Husk and Sheaf (Aurealis Month)  (Read 2272 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: November 18, 2016, 07:30:44 PM
PodCastle Miniature 93: Husk and Sheaf (Aurealis Month)

by Suzanne J. Willis

read by Graeme Dunlop

Hosted by Aidan Doyle

First published in SQ Mag.

Spring had stretched the daylight hours and dried the damp-weather rot in my hands by the time the old woman, Emmeline, began visiting the orange grove. By then, I knew enough to see she wasn’t well. I had been placed in the grove to scare away the mynahs pecking incessantly at the fruit. At first, I couldn’t remember being made, or recall the hands that sewed my body and my clothes. Who was it that stuffed me full so I plumped out like a real man?

Click here to continue reading.

Rated PG-13.

Suzanne J. Willis is a Melbourne, Australia-based writer, a graduate of Clarion South and an Aurealis Awards finalist. Her stories have appeared or are forthcoming in anthologies by PS Publishing, Prime Books, Fablecroft Publishing and Fox Spirit Press, and in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, SQ Mag, Mythic Delirium, Capricious SF and the British Fantasy Society Journal. Suzanne’s tales are inspired by fairytales, ghost stories and all things strange, and she can be found online at suzannejwillis.webs.com.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 01:49:56 PM
I actually thought the elderly woman was a victim (at first). Hoooooooo boy, that wasn't the case. Thanks, eh.  :)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 02:37:54 PM
This was cool, I'm not entirely sure I followed everything but I enjoyed it either way!

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:16:41 PM
Took quite a while to catch on to this one (given its brevity), but it was worth pressing through. Why are so many of these Aurealis Month stories quite creepy??

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:09 PM
@Devoted135 We Aussies are a creepy bunch ;)