Author Topic: PC445: In Mixcoatl’s Net  (Read 4737 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: December 06, 2016, 05:07:37 PM
PodCastle 445: In Mixcoatl’s Net

by Charlie Allison

read by Setsu Uzume

First published on the Aspiring Writer’s Society website in June 2016

Sunny abandoned her house the day after she buried Anna and struck out for the western metropolis of Palotl. She gathered up all her practical effects in no time at all: a sharp knife, matches, a map, and a pair of good blankets—one from her childhood, one from Anna’s.

Anna’s blanket was a mess of Evenki winter scenes: the Old Witch’s Comb, a strutting rooster and the gaping grey jaws of wolves.        

Sunny sniffed. It still smelled like her.

Her own blanket was decorated with Quetzal mosaics in bright reds and greens: the Flower Goddess bringing life to the desert, Mixcoatl the Hunter casting his net through the stars, headless Night Axe terrorizing travelers.

Sunny rolled up the blankets along with a bedroll and stuffed them into her backpack.

Click here to continue reading.

Rated R.

Charlie Allison surrounds himself with dying languages, fading pantheons and idle speculation. He has worn many hats: working as a chess coach, a groundskeeper, an English tutor, creative writing instructor for adults with learning disabilities, and an amateur circus acrobat. His current headwear is that of a graduate student at Arcadia University, where he works as a graduate assistant. He helps run a writing board called “Fits of Print” with some other genre writers–free proofreading, critiques, support and line edits, alongside copious nerd references.

He lives with his girlfriend and three furry murder machines in West Philadelphia. He is currently working on the draft of his second novel–after launching the first into space.

You can find him online at ‘Fits of Print’ and on Twitter @cballison421.

Setsu Uzume spent her formative years in and out of dojos. She also trained in a monastery in rural China, studying Daoism and swordplay. She is a member of Codex and SFWA. While she has dabbled in many arts, only writing and martial arts seem to have stuck. Find her on Twitter @KatanaPen, or her website katanapen.wordpress.com.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 09:44:07 PM by Ocicat »

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 09:12:11 PM
This was a dandy bit of dark fiction (plenty of Clive Barker body horror).  It reminded me of an Escape Artist premium-content podcast about a pueblo Indian, his elderly uncle, and a skin-runner (who wore sneakers) from awhile back.
This episode was nasty and nice.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 03:01:21 PM
Weird and fun!

I liked the details about the weird stomach-mouth monster.  Creepy!

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 06:06:20 PM
Weird and fun!

Sigh, I'm thinking about Seseme Street's Cookie Monster right now.  Nom nom nom.  I'm glad it's Friday.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 09:18:16 PM
This one wasn't my cup of tea.  I had trouble immersing myself in the story.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:30:55 PM
Weird and fun!

Sigh, I'm thinking about Seseme Street's Cookie Monster right now.  Nom nom nom.  I'm glad it's Friday.

Ha!  Cookie Monster is a bit different in that his mouth doesn't lead anywhere at all (hence why all the cookies just crumble up and fall out, and probably also why he is ALWAYS HUNGRY)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:29:26 PM
Body horror is right! *shivers* Drawing from different culture's mythologies is cool, I just wish it didn't have to be so (ahem) visceral.