Author Topic: CoW Ep. 224: Welcome to Willoughby's  (Read 2448 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: December 31, 2016, 04:22:45 PM
Episode 224: Welcome to Willoughby’s by Michael Reid

• Narrated by Motti Schleider
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!

Michael Reid bookends his days working to perfect his method for turning cups of tea into stories. His work has appeared on EscapePod and in AE: The Canadian Science Fiction Review. In 2015, he attended the Clarion Writers’ Workshop, from which the main take-away was that he should stop trying to solve story problems by randomly inserting volcanoes. He lives near Toronto, Canada, with his husband, a big white dog, and a volcano. During the middle bits of the day, he teaches astronomy to anyone who will listen. Follow him on Twitter.

Motti Schleider lives in the northeast, has a cat named Mr. Blake, loves gaming of all kinds, and is an avid reader. He’s also a newly minted Cast of Wonders slush reader, so please join us in welcoming him into the fold.

You ever been to Upsilon Orionis? As far as asteroid belts go, that one's pretty weird. Someone dragged every last asteroid in that system right up close to the star then built a temple to a different sun god on each one. How about Beta Pictoris? That solar system isn’t even properly formed yet and there’s already a golf course in its asteroid belt. It has fairways and sand traps and everything, with each and every hole on a different rock. So you could say I've seen a lot of weird stuff in asteroid belts. But the taxidermist was definitely the weirdest of them all.

Click here to listen to Episode 224
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: Cast of Wonders, choice, Jeremy Carter, Michael Reid, Motti Schleider, Science Fiction, sentience, space, taxidermy, Weird, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:36:15 PM by danooli »

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 09:34:22 PM
Who else wants to hear more about that system where they dragged all the asteroids close to the sun and built a temple to a different sun-god on each one? ;)

That was delightfully creepy. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:53:02 PM
Huh, I did not see where this one was going.  How creeeeepy.  And yet oddly appealing.  I could see how one could decide to take the payout and give one's body up for that, especially if one didn't have a family that might object to one's taxidermying in a museum. 

This despite that I have chosen not to go see the BodyWorlds exhibits that tour around from time to time, that are anatomical displays built from real human cadavers because it creeps me the hell out.