Author Topic: CoW Ep. 236: Beats  (Read 2503 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: February 23, 2017, 06:10:31 PM
Episode 236: Beats by Brent C. Smith

• Narrated by Rachael K. Jones
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!

Brent C. Smith is a transplant to the frigid north of Portland, Maine where he lives with his girlfriend (and Cast of Wonders alum, Jen Welch) and his faithful hound. When he’s not trying to keep warm, he writes industrial automation software by day, and made-up stories at night. Brent’s fiction has appeared previously at Daily Science Fiction, New Myths, and the Unidentified Funny Objects 4 anthology. You can follow him online or on Twitter.

Rachael K. Jones grew up in various cities across Europe and North America, picked up (and mostly forgot) six languages, an addiction to running, and a couple of degrees. Now she writes speculative fiction in Athens, Georgia, where she lives with her husband. Her work has appeared in dozens of venues including Shimmer, Lightspeed, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Strange Horizons, EscapePod, PodCastle, InterGalactic Medicine Show, and The Drabblecast. She is an editor, a SFWA member, and a secret android. Follow her on online or on Twitter.

“Both his parents got killed in a fire when we were in junior high. He’s been a freak ever since.” Missy Jenkins paused, and I waited, letting her build the drama. Finally she grabbed my shoulder and pulled me so close I could smell her strawberry lip gloss. “I heard he started it.”

Click here to listen to Episode 236
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: Brent C. Smith, Cast of Wonders, choices, fitting in, friends, high school, Jeremy Carter, outsiders, peer pressure, Rachael K. Jones, Young Adult fiction

February is Women in Horror Month, an international, grassroots initiative, which encourages supporters to learn about and showcase the underrepresented work of women in the horror industries. Whether they are on the screen, behind the scenes, or contributing in their other various artistic ways, it is clear that women love, appreciate, and contribute to the horror genre. Check out the hashtag WiHM8 for plenty of suggestions. Or if you have the stomach for stronger fair, our sister show Pseudopod.

You can find all our own Women in Horror episodes here!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:19:14 PM by danooli »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:46:57 PM
I should have known with a high school story, but this one bent a LOT darker than I anticipated. Nicely done!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”