Author Topic: What do you write in?  (Read 10319 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
on: February 09, 2007, 08:33:46 AM
Not quite sure how to really elaborate on the topic, but what do you write in/with? Both physically(include what you're writing on and what with) and digitally.

For me personally I use Legal-size Legal pads and my current favorite pen (narrowly edging out Pilot's G-2 gel pen) is a Pilot VBall grip. When digital my favorite text editor is Pages.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 02:56:10 PM
Not quite sure how to really elaborate on the topic, but what do you write in/with? Both physically(include what you're writing on and what with) and digitally.

For me personally I use Legal-size Legal pads and my current favorite pen (narrowly edging out Pilot's G-2 gel pen) is a Pilot VBall grip. When digital my favorite text editor is Pages.

An answer - with photos.

Longhand-

Paper: I don't do much longhand other than jotting notes or doodling. For that I keep a couple of 5/3.5 wirebound notebooks around. I also use them for day-job work. I also write on the back of used printer paper, like old edits of stories, or printer tests, or telecom transcripts.

Pen: Whichever one is closest. I have no pen fetish (anymore).

Digital-

Computer: PowerMac G4 1.25 Ghz dual processor (sounds like an SR71 Blackbird at takeoff, which is why I don't podcast). I also have a "work" computer, an IBM Thinkpad, that I do all my telecom work with.

Keyboard: Kensington SlimType Keyboard. I have small hands so the laptop style keys are a welcome comfort.

Word Processor: MS Word.

My office space -

Computer-

Relaxation Space-

Desk Space-

My view from office chair-

Here is what my desktop sports-

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:59:30 PM by jrderego »

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 03:11:47 PM

I carry a Moleskines pocket notebook in my back pocket at all times--squared, so I can use it for words and drawings--for notes and ideas when I'm away from the computer.  I've written whole rough drafts in these, and I consider them indespensable.  Simmilarly nessary is my Uni-Ball Vision Elite 0.5mm.  I don't leave home without either.

I use Text-Edit and Abiword on my ancient mac at home, but I'm not really happy with either.  What's Pages like?

fiveyearwinter

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 03:50:38 PM
I use a Ruled Moleskine Pocket, Text-Edit (on my 12" Powerbook G4), my hipster PDA, backs of receipts, legal pads, graph paper...

My newest thing has been to send txt message poetry to all my friends at random hours. It's a lot of fun, and it's definitely an exercise in concise writing.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 05:05:24 PM
I'm sure you'll find this as a "out of left field" answer.

I do most of my writing on my Dell Axim PDA - yup, tapping it out with my stylus.  Why? It's always with me. I can pull it out and jot down a note, edit something or work on whatever I am working on. I'm not a writer by trade, so I have to sneak in little writing sessions throughout my day. Lots of my writing occurs in a small space, sitting down, where no one interrupts me. (I'll leave it to your imagination to figure that one out). I store everything on a Secure Digital card, so I can pop it into the SD slot on my laptop and actually use a real keyboard once in a while.  I back up the card sometimes (probably not often enough), so I don't worry so much about losing stuff.  Also, my handwriting sucks. Editing things electronically is WAY easier and I have lost more notebooks than I can count.  On my desks at work and at home, I have almost no notebooks or pens.  The only reason I have sticky notes is so that people can leave notes attached on my CRT.  About the only time I put pen to paper is when I make a grocery list.  It has been so long since I have written anything in cursive that I no longer remember most of the letters.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:01:04 PM
I use Text-Edit and Abiword on my ancient mac at home, but I'm not really happy with either.  What's Pages like?

It's like text edit that you can control fonts in. It's a very simple interface, just a few options up at the top that you can use to control everything. But when I guess the best thing you can say is it just lets you write with a minimum of distraction. And then if you want to go crazy with layout it'll let you.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

smartbombradio

• Peltast
  • Clthulhu loves me, this I know!
    • One Eighteen: Migration
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 06:27:12 AM
I write on any small notebook I can find (the smaller the better) and I'm a page tearer.  Here is where I edit, transcribe and record.

http://www.podcastpickle.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11544

zed

• Extern
    • Random Thoughts From a Mad Man
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:25:23 PM
Mostly i write in my Treo 680 then transfer and clean up in Word 2007.

Cogito Ergo Zoom (I Think Therefore I Go Fast)

Mfitz

• Peltast
    • Flying Whale Productions
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 03:25:46 PM
Slightly old IBM Thinkpad, Wordperfect 11.  But I always printout hardcopy to edit and proof with one of my many fountain pens, and funky colored ink. Lamy Safari is currant fave.

I love to write longhand with either pencil or fountain pen in wide ruled flip-top note pads.  I find it a pleasing sensuous experience.  I used to do all first drafts that way.  I have switched to mostly writing on the laptop since I got serious about getting published.  I'm dyslexic and borderline ADD, with the computer I can spend more time writing plot, and less time manipulating media.

Spellcheck is God's personal gift to me. 

Startrekwiki

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 03:54:36 PM
I usually write in "TextEdit" and later add it to my website. Usually after a few friends have gone over Spellchecking and looking at my grammar.

GoodDamon

• Lochage
    • Speculations - My writing blog
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 05:43:16 PM
I use a laptop or desktop computer almost exclusively. Writing longhand takes too long, and I have my laptop with me all the time. I can't say the same for pads of paper or pens.

I use OpenOffice (a free Microsoft Office-style suite) for everything.

Actually, this reminds me of an interesting point: Manuscript formatting is very important for editors, so it's a good idea to set your word processor up with a template that properly formats your stories. A bad-looking, unprofessional manuscript is an excuse for editors to chuck it into the waste bin.

Damon Kaswell: Reader, writer, and arithmetic-er

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 10:29:37 AM
I have written on whatever I can find, usually scraps of paper with brief notes to remind me later.  In High School, took two semesters of Creative Writing, and we had to keep a journal in a spiral bound roughly 81/2 by 11 notebook.  I do almost all my efforts on computer though.  I have attrocious handwriting, and find even I have trouble reading my writing later.

Mfitz

• Peltast
    • Flying Whale Productions
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 01:59:38 PM
Ditto

Nobilis

• Peltast
    • Nobilis Erotica Podcast
Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 02:41:37 AM
I always write with my shoes off. For some reason it helps.

I write at my computer.  If I'm away from my desk, I'm usually listening to podcasts and really can't write at the same time.

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 08:30:35 PM
Black Moleskin notebook and a ultra fine Pilot Rolling Ball pen.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 01:57:56 PM
Ok, so this isn't anything to do with SF/Horror, this is what I now write in now.
Friday, about 2:00pm (roughly) I got my hand bound, full leather, 200 page bread journal from Dreaming Mind Bindery.

I checked out his site after he sponsored one of the EPs some months back and spent a couple weeks mulling over wanted in a journal before ordering. Don did a fantastic job, and had a short lead time at a very reasonable price. Especially for custom work!

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 04:39:57 PM
Wow. Did anyone else notice how Pimp Jrderego's ottoman was?

Golgo13

• Extern
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 05:59:25 PM
I suppose my miniscule OCD kicks in when it comes to things like this because I go out and buy a new notebook for EVERY big idea that I have so I can take as much paper as I need to branch it out, create characters, etc. Fortunately, there's a Dollar Tree right by my house, so I'm not shelling out huge bucks for paper.

Once I get it down though, I transfer it to my Dell Inspirion Laptop. I got it a few years ago for the sole purpose of having a mobile writing platform, and now that I bought and installed Office '07 on it and my PC upstairs, I can pretty much write non-stop on it. I also have a small "Bed and Breakfast" tray that I can prop my laptop onto and just crunch away when my wife's on the PC. Makes it easier than propping it on the floor.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 07:26:35 PM
Computer.

Laptop.

Cellphone.

Notebook.

Really it depends upon the feel I have for the story.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

raygunray

• Peltast
  • Sundae, bloody Sundae
    • Diabetic In Candyland
Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 12:26:12 AM
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with MS Word, my main WP. Word has served me well and I've made a template that I bring up that has the font, margins and pagination I need so I don't have to mess with that.  I'd like to get another laptop just for writing and surfing.

I have to congratulate myself.  I made a resolution on my last birthday to write at least 2hrs a day, six days a week.  Then, write and complete a draft of one story or article a week and send something out every week.  I've have kept to that resolution and have submitted six stories since then for publication.  A seventh goes in the mail this weekend. 

Diabetic in Candyland -
Stories about Winning at Losing and Failing Successfully.

bekemeyer

• Palmer
    • ScatterPod
Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 04:45:46 PM
i will almost always write in one of those B & W composition books that you can get almost anywhere.  It must be B & W.  none of this blue, or purple nonsense, B & W only.  i have several of them and i will write "Movies", or "Stories" on the outside cover to keep random notes in.  but, when i come up with an idea that will take up a lot of space, i will write the name of the project on the outside and that book is no longer used for random notes.  it gets promoted.   

these days i will outline by hand in the composition book with a Pilot Precise gel .07 and it's my favorite "Cheap" pen that i have come across. 

once i am through with my outline, it depends on what I am writing. 

if it's a screenplay, i will write in Movie Magic Screenwriter.  but, i have written in and think I might prefer Final Draft over movie magic. 

if it's a narritive story of some kind i will use microsoft word.  it's easy, it's there.  it normally makes horrible grammatical suggestions, but it does spell check and will capitolize the first word of every sentence, so i don't have to. 

i write exclusively on my Macintosh Powerbook G4 (1st generation) laptop.  which is truly unfortunate because it is not nearly the laptop it once was 7 years ago.  but, it's been my best friend since day one.

i am almost always completely clothed when writing.   

i never realized how ritualistic i was about this stuff until recently.  when i was younger i would just sit down and write.

Excuse me, but what exactly is ScatterPod?

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 08:53:08 AM
I thought I was using my computer. Really I did. Good old HP, Microsoft Word. I even have a wonderful little laptop (flybook) which is red (so it goes faster) and I thought I was writing on that too.

Then I bought a new notebook (my old ones were all filled up). Spiral bound, kariert (you know, square lined. White space and normal lines just suck. Little squares are the way to go: you can choose any line height you want, change as you go, turn it at right angles). And a good old ballpoint pen. Has to be a ball point. Flowing ink makes my already dismal handwriting an unintelligable mess even to myself.

And then I found I write 4000 words an evening. I´m not saying they´re good words, but it´s more thn just writing "squirrel" over and over until the page is filled.

That computer stuff? That was staring at a screen. This handwritten stuff? It works, man.

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.