Author Topic: PseudoPod 533: ARTEMIS RISING 3: Drift Right  (Read 3157 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: March 11, 2017, 08:41:09 AM
PseudoPod 533: ARTEMIS RISING 3: Drift Right

by Wendy N. Wagner

Drift Right is a Pseudopod original.

This piece was inspired by a trip to the Columbia River Maritime Museum and the Bumblebee Cannery Museum, both of Astoria, Oregon. Astoria has a long history of fishing and many of its original settlers were Finnish. It was also a hotbed of unionizing activity during the first few decades of the 20th century.

Your Narrator: Wilson Fowlie has been reading stories out loud since the age of 4, and credits any talent he has in this area to his parents, who are both excellent at reading aloud.

He started narrating stories for more than just his own family in late 2008, when he answered a call for readers on the PodCastle forum. Since then, he has gone on to become PodCastle’s most prolific narrator, reading or appearing in over 30 episodes. He’s a member of the EA Home Run club, having narrated for all four casts, and has narrated for many other podcasts, including Beam Me Up, Cast Macabre, Dunesteef Audio Fiction magazine and the Journey Into… podcast. He fits in all this narrating between his day job as a web developer in Vancouver, Canada, and being the director of a community show chorus called The Maple Leaf Singers.

Info on Anders Manga’s album (they do our theme music!) can be found here.

The tide was in, and the butter and brine smell of the sea covered the stink of the river. The Kultaseni nosed against the current, keeping to the edge of the shipping channel. Ben kept a tight hold of the tiller and found himself forgetting to blink as he peered ahead into the darkness. Clouds like wool felting wrapped up the sky, and the air was thick with unshed rain.

He risked a quick glance at the man standing in the stern. Arlo Koski’s bigness defined him, set him apart from the other men in Astoria. At the Suomi Ladies Auxiliary annual tug of war, Koski was always called to be team captain. At union meetings, even the Seattle organizers shut up for him to talk. Ben could remember sitting at the back of the Suomi Brotherhood Hall with his brother Joe, listening to Koski and wishing he could be something, anything like the man.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:44:25 PM
MK Hobson does amazing endcaps (seriously go listen to her endcap for Clark Asthon Smith over on PodCastle) and she delivered here. I wasn't expecting the depth of insight into the labor movement that helped inspire this story. Wilson was amazing as always.

Also, anyone looking for some more Jack Lovecraft stories should go check out Laird Barron. -30- or Blackwood's Baby would be good places to start. I need to carve out some free time to read his new collection. Also check out Wendy's novel Starspawn.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 07:59:32 PM
I worked on a fish farm in Kyuquot Sound, Vancouver Island, BC. The drab, fog tone rang true. I didn't see any supernatural element in this story. Sealions are quite striking... up close!

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 07:30:03 AM
I also really like the setting.  Fog mutes everything, not merely sight and sound.  Wendy does a masterful job bringing that stillness, and what lurks beneath, to life.