Author Topic: CoW Ep. 239: Hackers’ Faire - Artemis Rising 3  (Read 2877 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: March 12, 2017, 01:51:52 PM
Episode 239: Artemis Rising 3 – Hackers’ Faire by Rati Mehrotra

• Narrated by Wilson Fowlie
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Guest host Alethea Kontis
A Cast of Wonders original!
• Learn more about Artemis Rising

Rati Mehrotra lives and writes in lovely Toronto. Her short stories have appeared in AE – The Canadian Science Fiction Review, Apex Magazine, Abyss & Apex, Podcastle, and many more. Her debut novel, Markswoman, will be published in early 2018. You can follow her online and on Twitter.

Wilson Fowlie has been reading stories out loud since the age of 4, and credits any talent he has in this area to his parents, who are both excellent at reading aloud. He started narrating stories for more than just his own family in late 2008, when he answered a call for readers on the PodCastle forum. Since then, he has gone on to become PodCastle’s most prolific narrator, reading or appearing in nearly 30 episodes. He’s a proud member of the Escape Artists hat trick club, having narrated for PodCastle, EscapePod and Pseudopod as well as Cast of Wonders, in addition to StarShipSofa, Beam Me Up, Cast Macabre, Dunesteef Audio Fiction magazine and the Journey Into… podcast. He fits in all this narrating between his day job as a web developer in Vancouver, Canada, and being the director of a community show chorus called The Maple Leaf Singers.

Alethea Kontis is a princess, author, fairy godmother, and geek. Author of over fifteen books and contributor to over twenty-five more, her award-winning writing has been published for multiple age groups across all genres, including science fiction, fantasy, horror, humor, contemporary and paranormal romance, poetry, graphic novels, Twitter serials, and non-fiction. A former child actress, Alethea hosted over 55 episodes of Princess Alethea’s Fairy Tale Rants on YouTube, and continues to host Princess Alethea’s Traveling Sideshow every year at DragonCon. She enjoys audiobook and podcast narration, speaking at middle schools across the country (in costume, of course), and one day hopes to make a few more movies with her friends. Alethea currently resides on the Space Coast of Florida with her teddy bear, Charlie. Find out more about Princess Alethea and the magic, wonderful world in which she lives here at her Patreon, or follow her on Twitter.

Some jerk in a speeding racer had wrecked Tiya’s cat. I was all for recycling its remains, but Tiya would have none of it. She wept until I gave in and promised to get it fixed at Hacker’s Faire.
I’d sworn not to go back there, not unless our lives depended on it. Everything at the Faire has a price, and I had little left to sell or barter. I had optioned my useful parts years ago, before I met Hanna and settled down – if squatting in an abandoned warehouse with eight other families can be called settling. Anyway, I had left my old life behind, and I kept quiet about my Truthtelling skills.

Click here to listen to Episode 239
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: Alethea Kontis, Artemis Rising, Artemis Rising 3, Cast of Wonders, consequences, cyborg, daughter, father, guild, Jeremy Carter, lies, Memory, Rati Mehrotra, truth, war, Wilson Fowlie, Young Adult fiction

The Artemis Rising 3 image was commissioned from Ashley Mackenzie. Ashley is an artist and illustrator based in Edmonton, Alberta. She was born in Victoria, BC and grew up between Vancouver, BC and Edmonton, AB. After studying online for a year through AAU in San Francisco, CA she moved to Toronto to pursue a degree in Illustration at OCADU. Though she loves the challenge of creating complex conceptual illustrations and finding new ways to navigate ideas visually she also enjoys making concept art and decorative illustration. When not drawing she can be found reading, playing videogames or thinking about her next project.

Illustration by Mat Weller. Artemis Rising logo designed by Scott Pond.

Chuk

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:37:03 PM
Pretty good story, I wouldn't mind seeing more stories with the same setting. I also really liked the reading -- the cyborg voice walked a good line between cold stiff robot and human. The hostess was very enthusiastic but something about her rubbed me the wrong way, almost like she was talking to little kids.

--
chuk

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:58:05 PM
Definitely want to see more stories in this setting.