Author Topic: CoW Ep. 240: Cross The Street - Artemis Rising 3  (Read 3066 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: March 19, 2017, 01:46:48 PM
Artemis Rising 3 – Cross The Street by Marie Vibbert

• Narrated by Roberto Suarez
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Guest host Gail Carriger
A Cast of Wonders original!
• Learn more about Artemis Rising

Marie Vibbert is a member of SFWA and an IT professional from Cleveland, Ohio. She has ridden 17% of the roller coasters in the United States and played for the Cleveland Fusion women’s tackle football team. Find out more about her online or follow her on Twitter.

Roberto Suarez is a community college advocate and program manager in Portland, Oregon. He is the co-host and producer of A Pod of Casts: The Game of Thrones Podcast and Radio Westworld: The Westworld Podcast. You can find Roberto on the web and on Twitter.

Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance. Her steampunk books include the Parasol Protectorate, Custard Protocol, Supernatural Society, and Delightfully Deadly series for adults, and the Finishing School series for young adults. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers via seven different lists. She was once an archaeologist and is overly fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. You can follow her on Twitter.

I was on the sofa, wallowing in self-pity and blankets, when my sister answered the door.
“Sadie, honey,” old Mr. Smith said from the hallway, “I beg your pardon. So sorry for your loss, again, but are you going to cross the street soon?  It’s just that I haven’t had anything to eat since Thursday.”
Now, I was sitting in the exact same spot the day before when Sadie gave him a can of beans after he said the exact same words, but Sadie just smiled and spoke receptionist-polite to him.  “I’ll have to ask my momma, Mr. Smith, but I’m sure it’ll be soon.”

Click here to listen to Episode 240
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: Artemis Rising, Artemis Rising 3, brother, cars, Cast of Wonders, danger, drivers, family, Gail Carriger, inequality, Jeremy Carter, loss, Marie Vibbert, neighbors, pedestrians, poverty, Roberto Suarez, sister, street, Young Adult fiction

The Artemis Rising 3 image was commissioned from Ashley Mackenzie. Ashley is an artist and illustrator based in Edmonton, Alberta. She was born in Victoria, BC and grew up between Vancouver, BC and Edmonton, AB. After studying online for a year through AAU in San Francisco, CA she moved to Toronto to pursue a degree in Illustration at OCADU. Though she loves the challenge of creating complex conceptual illustrations and finding new ways to navigate ideas visually she also enjoys making concept art and decorative illustration. When not drawing she can be found reading, playing videogames or thinking about her next project.

Illustration by Mat Weller. Artemis Rising logo designed by Scott Pond.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:34:54 PM
Stories about transportation and city planning make me happy. There should be more out there. This one nicely explores the impacts of vehicle-focused road design to the most vulnerable users of the system.

My one observation about the technology is the vehicles were following in-pavement devices. The industry is currently moving away from this dystopia for a couple reasons. The first is that in-pavement devices are expensive to install and more expensive to maintain at a level that adheres to safety standards. The second is sensor packets are getting cheaper and better, so we're building sophisticated computers into autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles that make decisions based on the environment. They're currently being programmed with very conservative avoidance algorithms, because our AI overlords need us to accept them and allow them to infiltrate every level of society before they go all SkyNet on us.

Other transportation stories worth checking out: “Yes, We’ll Gather At The River” by Bradbury is an excellent wistful study in the death of communities by the highway. Clarkesworld ran an interesting story by Nnedi Okorafor "Rusties" that involves a sort of robot/traffic cop/traffic signal thing. Anyone else have recommendations?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 06:27:37 PM
Other transportation stories worth checking out: “Yes, We’ll Gather At The River” by Bradbury is an excellent wistful study in the death of communities by the highway. Clarkesworld ran an interesting story by Nnedi Okorafor "Rusties" that involves a sort of robot/traffic cop/traffic signal thing. Anyone else have recommendations?

Don't forget our Episode 199: Leapling by Nicole Feldringer :)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:15:28 PM

Don't forget our Episode 199: Leapling by Nicole Feldringer :)

You are absolutely correct! Reversible lane technology featured heavily in that one. I am working on a couple projects that are considering the elimination of some reversible lanes. Fun thing happened on one of them the other week. Contractor doing some upgrades along one of those corridors was cleaning up some abandoned facilities - tearing out old conduit and wire. Bundled up in that was also the wiring for the reversible lane signs a fair distance away. Good times.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”