Author Topic: PC466: Blood Stone Water  (Read 2390 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: April 20, 2017, 12:48:17 AM
PodCastle 466: Blood Stone Water

by Amanda Fitzwater
read by Amanda Fitzwater
hosted by Graeme Dunlop
First published in Beneath Ceaseless Skies

Rated PG-13.

Tau bit deeper with her paddle, and green water hushed beneath the oka hull. Nhia sat in the bow, serene as when they’d pushed off from Ia that sunrise to a farewell ululation. Her fingertips trailed in the smooth ocean, eyes unfocused on the fins that kept time or searching further forward to their destination five sunrises hence.

Click here to read more

AJ Fitzwater is a dragon wearing a human meat suit, living between the cracks in Christchurch, New Zealand. She attended the Clarion workshop in 2014, and won the Sir Julius Vogel Award 2015 for Best New Talent. Stories have been published in venues such as Shimmer Magazine, Crossed Genres Magazine and various Crossed Genres anthologies, “At The Edge” an anthology of New Zealand and Australian speculative fiction from Paper Road Press, The Future Fire, and more.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:33:06 AM
I'm not sure what to think about this one. When she had thoughts about making babies with another woman, I simply thought that The people here just had no men, and women joined with each other to produce the next generation. You know, Like Asari.
Then a man appears, and I have to reevaluate. So... I suppose you can make babies with a man, or another woman, I guess.

The central story seems to be about this young woman who struggles with her feelings for another woman, with whom she eventually ends up. What doesn't seem to make sense is why does she seem to be struggling against social taboos in a society that clearly accepts relationships like what she contemplates.

Maybe I could understand the whole thing better if I read it directly instead of listening, but I'm not sure that it's worth the effort.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:49:45 PM
I wasn't sure what was going on, but I was sure I didn't like either of the characters.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 04:16:55 AM
For me, the story evoked tropical imagery, and let my mind wonder to ideals of the recent Disney movie, Moana.  That part was interesting, but I felt like the characters and their stories didn't draw me in and make me feel afraid for them, or excited for their mutual discoveries.

Failure is an event, not a person.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 05:55:42 PM
I also had difficulty figuring out what was happening, and why. I did enjoy the setting.