Author Topic: Is Escape Pod Getting More Popular with Super-Educated People?  (Read 4788 times)

LydiaJ

• Extern
I like to check out my favorite (or not so favorite) websites at Alexa sometimes. I looked at escapepod.org, and two things were interesting. One, it looks like traffic has been pretty steadily increasing over the last year or so, which is cool.

Second, it looks like people with graduate degrees are waaaaay over represented in Escape Pod's visitors. I checked some other science fiction sites, thinking that maybe overly educated people just really like science fiction, but I didn't see the same thing. I know Alexa isn't as accurate as it could be (how do they get that statistic anyway?). Then I thought, well, I have a graduate degree, and I visit the site at least once a week. I also have a friend of mine that listens occasionally, and she has a graduate degree too. In my not-very-representative sample of two, 100% of listeners has a graduate degree, so maybe there's something to it.

Can anyone tell me if Escape Pod's popularity is actually increasing, and if so, why might that be?

Do many of you have a ridiculously expensive amount of formal education?

bckinney

• Benjamin C Kinney
I would not be too inclined to trust Alexa's data there, nor the precision of its presentation. But I can confirm that Escape Pod just picked up a new assistant editor with a PhD, so I guess it's possible :)

I don't have access to the viewing statistics, but I'd believe that Escape Pod's popularity is increasing, especially since becoming a SFWA-recognized professional magazine earlier this year.

Escape Pod assistant editor, SFF author, neuroscientist.
http://benjaminckinney.com
@BenCKinney

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
I would not be too inclined to trust Alexa's data there, nor the precision of its presentation. But I can confirm that Escape Pod just picked up a new assistant editor with a PhD, so I guess it's possible :)

I don't have access to the viewing statistics, but I'd believe that Escape Pod's popularity is increasing, especially since becoming a SFWA-recognized professional magazine earlier this year.

Not to split hairs, but Escape Pod has been a SFWA-recognized professional magazine for several years already.  My only publication in Escape Pod, way back in 2012, was a SFWA-qualifying sale (albeit retroactively, IIRC, because it takes a year to qualify but then that year is grandfathered in)

Pseudopod, Podcastle, and Cast of Wonders all became SFWA-recognized professional magazines earlier this year.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:51:16 PM by Unblinking »

acpracht

• EA Staff

You've got an audio producer with an M.Ed. in Higher Education Administration as well, for what it's worth (i.e.: Me...)

:P

-Adam