Author Topic: Johnny the Homicidal Maniac  (Read 18588 times)

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
on: August 22, 2007, 12:41:08 PM
Any other fans of the somewhat morbid Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comic series out there?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 02:10:24 PM
I haven't read any nny in quite some time, but I loved it when it first came out.  I just don't have decent comic shops near me :( they carry Lenore usually but not nny

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:08:57 AM
Any other fans of the somewhat morbid Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comic series out there?

Absolutely.  One of my favourite books, graphic novel or otherwise, in fact.  I've never seen anyone else balance pure, clammy horror with moments of incredible poignancy (The 'above the stars' sequence gets me every time) and humour (Likewise, for different reasons, with 'You KIWWED GWANMA! DESTWOOOYYYY!).  Hell of a book, and my proudest moment as a comics journalist was having a chunk of my review used as solicitation text for it.  That was one of the good days at the office.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 05:37:52 PM
A few quotes from the comic:

"Kids, drugs won't help things. They'll only turn you into a hideous little freak troll-baby with exploding eyeballs."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

"I've been talking to dead rabbits and feeding bloody walls. I've done horrifying things with salad tongs. It's really eaten into my social life."

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:40:05 PM
Hell of a book, and my proudest moment as a comics journalist was having a chunk of my review used as solicitation text for it.

Is your review available online somewhere? What did you say that they used?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:25:40 AM
Hell of a book, and my proudest moment as a comics journalist was having a chunk of my review used as solicitation text for it.

Is your review available online somewhere? What did you say that they used?

Yep, here:

http://www.savantmag.com/75/essential.html

If I remember correctly, they used a chunk of the wrap up paragraph as the solicitation copy.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 05:34:40 PM
Nice review, thanks for posting the link.

It's almost impossible not to take a vicarious pleasure in the horrible vengeance he exacts on the worst elements of modern society. People who make snide comments about others, jocks, hypocrites, the stupid, the loud, the offensive, the assholes-all feel Johnny's wrath and feel it in the most brutally imaginative ways possible. It's horrible, gore soaked and very very funny.

But it is murder.

That's what the book does to you. You look at the horrible things Johnny does to people, giving form to the little voice that whispers in the back of everyone's head and you laugh because A) It's funny and B) They deserve it.

But it is murder.

This was my favorite part of your review. It reminded me of the scene with Jimmy, who admires and wants to emulate nny, but is soundly (and violently) refuted.

'You idiot!! Admire me?!! I'm the villain in this story!' (Language cleaned up)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 10:05:06 AM
Thanks:)  And yeah, that seesaw, that back and forth between comedy and pure visceral horror is one of the book's finest qualities.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 07:06:32 AM
Sorry about the thread necromancy, but I just had to say:  coincidentally, yes, I am also a huge fan.  Johnny is the man!

(And Zim will destroy you all.)

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 09:15:38 PM
Yee! I Love NNY. Also a fan of the LEnore books also by the same printing company. Good stuff!

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 02:09:32 PM
I've seen the Lenore books before but haven't bought any yet; sounds like it's worth a shot!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:09:45 AM
Holden: they're lighter fare. More... sort of cute. Still dark (ish) but definatly cute. Absolutly worth a go if you dig creepy cute.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.

eytanz

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 06:48:14 AM
Holden: they're lighter fare. More... sort of cute. Still dark (ish) but definatly cute. Absolutly worth a go if you dig creepy cute.

I agree that there is a cute element to them, but I disagree that this makes them lighter fare. I found the Lenore books to be considerably more disturbing (though funny) than the Johnny books.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 02:11:16 PM
Cute + graphically violent = delightfully disturbing.

I can dig it.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 05:47:57 AM
*see forum signature*

i looooove JtHM!!!!  i bought the directors cut a while back as my first look into the JtHM universe, and i loooooooooooooooved it!  its pure brilliance!

(And Zim will destroy you all.)
YES!  DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
makes me wanna sing the doom song!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:49:44 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 04:17:49 AM

I agree that there is a cute element to them, but I disagree that this makes them lighter fare. I found the Lenore books to be considerably more disturbing (though funny) than the Johnny books.

Mostly I say lighter in that I'm cool with my tween reading Lenore.. but not so much with NNy- not yet anyway. Deeper psyco stuff in NNy where as the crazy is pretty contained in the Lenore.

rohan2dark

• Extern
Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 12:47:00 PM
Im not much of a nny fan but i am a masive fan of johnny vasquez i dont know were to find any of the comics so it kinda sucks

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
    • undercaffinated
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 05:22:11 AM
I had some luck at a good local comic book store. check online re-sellers you may also get some luck there.

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 06:24:21 PM
You can also save searched on ebay and they'll send you an email when someone puts up something that matches your search.

Ben Phillips

• Lich King
  • Matross
    • Pseudopod
Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 09:18:25 AM
Yeah, word from my friend at a comics shop is that Slave Labor Graphics is really bad about filling demand for it, preferring the tiny on-demand print run approach.  You have to keep after your local shop to keep after SLG.  Not exactly superb business sense on their part!