Author Topic: EP577: The Ghosts of Europa Will Keep You Trapped in a Prison...  (Read 6081 times)

eytanz

EP577: The Ghosts of Europa Will Keep You Trapped in a Prison You Make for Yourself

AUTHOR: Matt Dovey
NARRATOR:Tina Connolly
HOST: Divya Breed

---

–then scooted her chair over to the microscope. Amira only needed a glance at the holographic zoom floating over the scope. The viral cells were replicating rapidly, budding and splitting at a phenomenal rate.

“Hey, Mariana, look at this.” Amira indicated the hologram, then was struck, at once, with an overwhelming sense of déjà vu: something beyond the familiarity of her lab and its clean white surfaces, or the flat icy plains of Europa beyond the carbonglass windows. And more than the déjà vu, there was a feeling of _instantaneousness_, that this moment had arisen out of nothing, that nothing was all that had been there before, that everything had just–_appeared_.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

hwaffle

• Lochage
    • Find me online
I enjoyed this one a great deal. For the first few minutes I was bored, then I got the concept and at first felt cheated, then, the concept flipped itself and I fell in lurv. Lovely story, love the short length too.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
This was just lovely. I really enjoyed it. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
I cursed at the end of this. Because it ended. And broke my heart.

Very well done.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright

To clarify: Here I was, driving home from work through Atlanta, rush-hour traffic, taking back roads (i.e., lots of traffic lights) because the Interstate was a parking lot, and listening to Escape Pod.

And then everything got all blurry and it was hard to see to drive. I was glad I had a red light. It seems that someone -- some DASTARD -- was cutting ONIONS in my back seat! Clearly! Because why else would I be crying?

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

acpracht

• EA Staff

To clarify: Here I was, driving home from work through Atlanta, rush-hour traffic, taking back roads (i.e., lots of traffic lights) because the Interstate was a parking lot, and listening to Escape Pod.

And then everything got all blurry and it was hard to see to drive. I was glad I had a red light. It seems that someone -- some DASTARD -- was cutting ONIONS in my back seat! Clearly! Because why else would I be crying?

Sounds like you should go protest that new onion farm. ;)

Because, my friend, you never know when it could all be over. Life's too short...

Aidan

• Extern
Loved this story. Great narration and I thought the special effects were really well done too.

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
I enjoyed this one a great deal. For the first few minutes I was bored, then I got the concept and at first felt cheated, then, the concept flipped itself and I fell in lurv. Lovely story, love the short length too.

Agree with all of this. Lovely story and really interesting perspective.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
This is the best kind of horror. Thank you.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Heart-aching. Amira's hologram's self-awareness was too bittersweet.

Varsha

• Palmer
What it means to be a humann?
To have conciousness?
is it brain patterns only?
or something more?

That was a good story trying to get at those questions.

Narration was not noticeable = very good.

And FFS people didn't you get the memo? You shouldn't go to Europa, attempt no landing

Piet

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 06:10:24 AM
Lovely story that raises philosophical questions and has an engaging perspective-altering twist. Nice!

It's not the destination...it's the glory of the ride.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 03:39:07 PM
This was well done. The ending twist was not expected, not telegraphed too soon. Very well done.

MattDovey

• Autarch
    • mattdovey.com
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 09:27:24 AM
Hey all, author here. This is just a note to say thank you all for everything you've said above: I'm not exaggerating when I say this thread has been a reliable source of smiles in what's been a very tough year for me, and it means so much to see comments like the above. It's not often I feel competent at this gig (cf. every other writer ever), but y'all are making it possible to believe. Thank you <3

PodCastle Assistant Editor & EA Graphics Goblin | @mattdoveywriter