Author Topic: CoW Ep. 235 Isle of the Dancing Dead  (Read 2780 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: February 14, 2017, 09:13:49 PM
Episode 235: Isle of the Dancing Dead by Rick Kennett

• Narrated by Barry Haworth
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Originally published in The Fifth Book of After Midnight Stories (1991)

Rick Kennett has had horror and SF stories published in several magazines, anthologies and podcasts including Dunesteef, Pseudopod, and here at Cast of Wonders. He won two Parsec Awards for podcast stories in 2013, a year that also saw the publication of his novel The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. One of those Parsec Awards was for Cast of Wonders Episode 71, Now Cydonia, one of the several Martian Ranger Cy De Gurch stories. When not toiling at the day job in the transport industry, he can be found wandering cemeteries – necrotourism – or working as the podcast reporter for the Ghosts & Scholars M R James Newsletter. You can follow him online.

Barry Haworth works as a statistician for the Australian Taxation Office which is more interesting than you might think. He holds a Masters degree in Statistics. Outside of work he is a keen reader of science fiction and enjoys choral singing and taking part in amateur theatricals, having performed such roles as Prospero in The Tempest, Major-General Stanley in The Pirates of Penzance, and Ebenezer Scrooge and Marley’s Ghost in two different versions of A Christmas Carol.

Barry has narrated episodes of Escape Pod, PodCastle and also the Cheap Astronomy podcast. He lives in Brisbane, Australia with his wife Sylvia, those of his children who haven’t left home yet, and whatever the current quota of pets is.

"Is it true," said young George as he filled in his first grave, "that the best place to hide from a ghost is in a cemetery?"
"Yes," said the grave-digger, shovelling. "Most times you'd be right aholding to that notion. But not here. Not in this particular cemetery. Not with the Chenoweth Grand Tomb not five hundred yards behind you."
"A haunted grave?" George turned about, studying the lawns and masonry. "Which one?"

Click here to listen to Episode 235
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: Barry Haworth, Cast of Wonders, family secrets, ghosts, graverobbing, haunted, Jeremy Carter, Rick Kennett, scary noises, tombs, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:24:52 AM by danooli »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 04:06:32 AM
The gravedigger named Monty is ABSOLUTELY a nod to Montague Rhodes James, considering that the author writes for Ghosts and Scholars. Nice! Good capture of his personality, and love of church architecture, too.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

MacBean

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:32:55 AM
Is the narrator just mispronouncing "mausoleum" or is that actually a totally different word? (I clicked the link to see the full text so I could check for myself but it brings me to a blank page...?)

~Bean

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:40:10 PM
Is the narrator just mispronouncing "mausoleum" or is that actually a totally different word? (I clicked the link to see the full text so I could check for myself but it brings me to a blank page...?)

Or pronouncing it like an Australian?

The link to the text from this forum page isn't working right now, but the link from the episode front page is.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:26:44 AM
yikes. sorry about that. I fixed the link to the text above.

Thanks Fenrix!

statisticus

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:29:17 AM
Is the narrator just mispronouncing "mausoleum" or is that actually a totally different word?

Oops.  This is what comes of reading aloud a word that doesn't get used much in everyday conversation. 

Sorry guys.

I am a Statistician.  One false move and you're a Statistic.