Author Topic: Looking for a new fantasy series  (Read 11183 times)

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
on: June 16, 2017, 06:18:44 PM
Hi All,

I've cleared my book reading schedule for the next year and am looking to get into a new fantasy series. I'd love to hear some favourites from people. To give you an idea of what I like, I'd say my favourites have been Pat Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles, Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle and I've just finished, and enjoyed, Brent Weeks' Night Angel series. I've started the Wheel of Time series twice and twice have been unable to finish after getting about halfway through.

Thanks in advance!

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:00:22 PM
Have you tried the Riyra books by Michael J. Sullivan?  There are two series' actually. The Riyra Revelations and the Riyra Chronicles. Chronologically, the Chronicles comes first, but Revelations was written and published first. While it really doesn't matter which you read first, I read Revelations before Chronicles.

Here is the synopsis of Theft of Swords, the first book in Revelations:

Quote from: Amazon
"They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
There's no ancient evil to defeat or orphan destined for greatness, just unlikely heroes and classic adventure. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, are running for their lives when they're framed for the murder of the king. Trapped in a conspiracy that goes beyond the overthrow of a tiny kingdom, their only hope is unraveling an ancient mystery before it's too late."

Not-a-Robot

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:39:03 PM
Hey Frank,

It's not a series, but it's long enough as a stand alone. Have you tried Mr. Norrell and Jonathan Strange? It's one of those books that some love and others hate.

I loved it. But then again, I've read a lot of Victorian literature in my time.

SnowedInScribe

• Extern
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:50:21 AM
Ever read V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic trilogy? It's a fun one.

ramonvine

• Extern
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 06:08:30 AM
Anyone here tried reading Japanese light novel? They have a lot of option to choose from their fantasy genre.

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:57:51 PM
I recently read Hounded book 1 in the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne.  I enjoyed it. 

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:40:33 PM
I recently read Hounded book 1 in the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne.  I enjoyed it. 

Ha! I also recently listened to Hounded. Then I immediately listened to books 2 & 3.  And now I'm just about done with book 4.

I also enjoy this series.  ;)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 06:34:48 AM

Ha! I also recently listened to Hounded. Then I immediately listened to books 2 & 3.  And now I'm just about done with book 4.

I also enjoy this series.  ;)

I'm looking forward to reading Kill the Farm Boy written by him and Delilah S. Dawson.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

BZelkovich

• Palmer
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 05:37:30 PM
Ever read V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic trilogy? It's a fun one.

I second this! I just finished this series and couldn't get enough of it. Characters and magic are very well developed. Super fun books.

chinacat

• Extern
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 10:51:34 PM
I’m new here. Glad I saw this discussion.  Shades of Magic trilogy will be on my summer reading agenda.

kurniadimartin

• Palmer
    • Instagram
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 01:55:29 AM
I've read Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows and was amazed by it  ;D