Author Topic: 11 Smart Tips for Writing!  (Read 4994 times)

Ramandeep08

• Extern
on: June 29, 2017, 05:40:51 AM
To sound smart, you must stop trying to sound smart. Brilliant writing is simple writing, a relevant idea delivered clearly and directly.

Here are 11 ways you can start sounding brilliant:

1. Have something to say
This makes writing easier and faster. When you have nothing to say, you are forced to write sentences that sound meaningful but deliver nothing.
Read widely. Take notes. Choose your subjects wisely. Then share your information with readers.

2. Be specific
Consider two sentences:
I grow lots of flowers in my back yard.
I grow 34 varieties of flowers in my back yard, including pink coneflowers, purple asters, yellow daylilies, Shasta daisies, and climbing clematis.

3. Choose simple words
Write use instead of utilize, near instead of close proximity, help instead of facilitate, for instead of in the amount of, start instead of commence.
Use longer words only if your meaning is so specific no other words will do.

4. Write short sentences
You should keep sentences short for the same reason you keep paragraphs short: they’re easier to read and understand.
Each sentence should have one simple thought. More than that creates complexity and invites confusion.

5. Use the active voice
In English, readers prefer the SVO sentence sequence: Subject, Verb, Object. This is the active voice.
When you reverse the active sequence, you have the OVS or passive sequence: Object, Verb, Subject.
You can’t always use the active voice, but most writers should use it more often.

6. Keep paragraphs short
Look at any newspaper and notice the short paragraphs.
That’s done to make reading easier, because our brains take in information better when it’s broken into small chunks.

7. Eliminate fluff words
Qualifying words, such as very, little, and rather, add nothing to your meaning and suck the life out of your sentences.
For example:
It is very important to basically avoid fluff words because they are rather empty and sometimes a little distracting.

8. Don’t ramble
Rambling is a big problem for many writers. Not as big as some other problems, such as affordable health insurance or the Middle East, which has been a problem for many decades because of disputes over territory.

9. Don’t be redundant or repeat yourself
Also, don’t keep writing the same thing over and over and over. In other words, say something once rather than several times. Because when you repeat yourself or keep writing the same thing, your readers go to sleep.

10. Don’t over write
This is a symptom of having too little to say or too much ego.
Put your reader first. Put yourself in the background. Focus on the message.

11. Edit ruthlessly
Shorten, delete, and rewrite anything that does not add to the meaning. It’s okay to write in a casual style, but don’t inject extra words without good reason.
To make this easier, break your writing into three steps:
1) Write the entire text.
2) Set your text aside for a few hours or days.
3) Return to your text fresh and edit.

MommaBird

• Extern
  • MommaBird is the Word
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:42:25 AM
Great Advice, pretty much what my English teacher used to say...although she requested sentences of various length. Whatever...thanks for reminding us!

This World Is Made Better Because Of The Generous And Talented Folk AT Escape Pod, and so is my life!
I'm doing the $2.00 a month, Pay Pal thing. You All Are So Great, You Even Figured Out  A Way For Me To Contribute, and Still Afford To Live In California.

ramonvine

• Extern
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 08:08:56 AM
This is so nice, just when I'm starting to make drafts for my upcoming wordpress.