Author Topic: CoW Ep. 252: The Forty Gardens of Calliope Grey  (Read 2174 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: June 12, 2017, 11:25:49 AM
Episode 252: The Forty Gardens of Calliope Grey by Aimee Ogden

• Narrated by Dani Daly
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!
Read along with the text of the story.
Click here to listen to Episode 252

Aimee Ogden is a reader, writer, and–of course–gardener who lives with her husband and three-year-old twins in the states of both Wisconsin and chaos. Her work has appeared in Shimmer, Daily Science Fiction, and Persistent Visions. You can follow her online and on Twitter.

Dani Daly is one of the assistant editors of Cast of Wonders, and narrating is just one of the things she loves to do. She’s a retired roller derby player and current hobbyist soap maker, for instance. She rants on Twitter, if that’s your thing. Or you can visit her on the EA forums. She loves it there. (here?  ;D  )

In her fourth-floor apartment on Wrightwood Avenue, Calliope Grey kept forty gardens of varying size and composition. She had gardens in drawers, in old hat-boxes and mixing bowls. In the drawer that pulled out from beneath her stove, she had a desert garden of cactuses and sagebrush; in the plastic freezer box that was meant to store ice cubes, she grew bearberries and arctic moss.

Tags: acceptance, Aimee Ogden, Cast of Wonders, choice, Dani Daly, gardens, growth, Jeremy Carter, letting go, nurture, plants, sharing, solitude, theft, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:36:09 PM by danooli »

hwaffle

• Lochage
    • Find me online
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 02:00:53 PM
I'm a bit late posting but I really enjoyed this one. I just loved the idea of the miniature gardens all over the house. I wonder if I can convince my husband to let me plant some succulents in the pantry now...