Author Topic: Blade Runner: the Final Cut (No, really, they promise this time)  (Read 4152 times)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
I doubt that it's news to anyone here that Mr. Scott's recut it again (being that this process started at the beginning of this decade, but was delayed due to lawyers). However, the bright bit of this is that it's getting a limited theatrical run. I know from a movie poster I saw on the street (a photo of which I will be able to post tomorrow) that it opens on October 5th, and in New York at the Ziegfeld Theater (LGT tickets, the theater is on 54th between 6th and 7th Ave). Apparently they're also doing it in LA, but I don't have information on it there.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any kind of plans for a wider release than in NYC/LA, but the DVD does come out in November.

I'm personally looking forward to it as it'll be the first chance I'll be able to see it on the big screen. So, er, anyone else interested? Perhaps some sort of Escape Pod forumite thing could be arranged?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 07:31:09 AM
(Drool)

I am currently seriously looking at how much blood I'd have to sell to be able to afford the special edition, the one in the faux Voight-Kampf test box.  This cannot turn up fast enough for me and if I were in the States or capable of getting there, I'd be beating a path to the door the second that arrived on the big screen.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 05:06:56 PM
And here's the poster.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 05:15:01 PM by Heradel »

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 05:12:28 PM
Wow, that looks really cool.  Is that Drew Struzan art?

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:28:50 PM
I posted a bit about the DVDs in Decker was a replicant.  I think it's relevant, so here it is again:

The "Final Cut" will be released on DVD.  I have the directors cut on VHS, but nothing on DVD.  I'm thinking of getting the DVD pack with all three versions.  The big collectors 5-disc set is a little overkill, but I wouldn't complain if someone gave it to me.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 07:12:08 PM
Wow, that looks really cool.  Is that Drew Struzan art?

I don't know, I'll go take a closer look at the poster after I get out of my Data Structures class.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 08:37:03 PM
Unfortunately there's nothing on the poster identifying the artist that I could see. http://bladezone.com/ shows John Alvin to be the original poster artist, but that isn't this one, and they don't say he did this one.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 09:29:03 PM
I googled it and came up with this.  Definitely Struzan.  I love that guy's posters. 

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Having just seen the final cut I can tell you this — it's the best version of the movie I've seen, but it's just a very refined directors cut. Things are tightened up, there seem to be some added environmental shots and the scenes with the flying cop car have been enhanced. The opening sequence is as good as it ever was, and I appreciate that they didn't go back in and redo the FX shots of the flares off of the buildings.

The one thing that I didn't love was the amount film grain.  Which I guess shouldn't surprise me that much — it was shot in very low light in the 80s. It probably won't be a big deal/noticeable on a TV, but it was noticeable in the theater.

Russell Nash

I would love to see this in the theater.  I doubt it will get released here at all :'(