Author Topic: CoW Ep. 268: Banned Books Week – Below the Serapeum  (Read 2748 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: September 25, 2017, 05:23:15 PM
Banned Books Week – Below the Serapeum

• by Kelsey Dean
• Narrated by Alethea Kontis
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!
Read along with the text of the story
Click here to listen to Episode 268

Kelsey Dean hails from Michigan, but currently resides in Seoul, where she works as an English teacher. She reads, writes, paints, and studies various languages when she has the time. Her work, particularly her poetry, can be found in a variety of publications, such as Liminal Stories, Lilac City Fairy Tales, Cicada, and Ember: A Journal of Luminous Things. Her YA short story ‘Starfishing’ is available on Audible and you can view more of her work on Tumblr.

Alethea Kontis is a princess, author, fairy godmother, and geek. Author of over seventeen books and contributor to over twenty-five more, her award-winning writing has been published for multiple age groups across all genres. Host of “Princess Alethea’s Fairy Tale Rants” and Princess Alethea’s Traveling Sideshow every year at Dragon Con, Alethea also narrates for ACX, IGMS, Escape Pod, PseudoPod, and Cast of Wonders. Alethea currently resides on the Space Coast of Florida with her teddy bear, Charlie. Find out more about Princess Alethea and the magic, wonderful world in which she lives at Patreon. You can follow her online, on Twitter, and on YouTube.

“Lift up your gown, Halena. We’ll settle these around your back and stomach so that you’re at the center of the scrolls.”
Aunt places a thin bandage around my waist and then helps me unroll the papyrus. We wind it back up around my body, covering the bandage like a stiff cocoon, or the crusty, left-behind exoskeleton of a sand beetle.

Tags: Alethea Kontis, career, Cast of Wonders, culture war, growing up, Jeremy Carter, Kelsey Dean, neighbors, protection, war, Young Adult fiction

Princess Alethea

• Extern
    • The Wonderful World of Princess Alethea
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:19 PM
Was so honored to narrate this one!
Always love working with my Cast of Wonders crew! xox

Author. Costumer. Narrator. Defender of Misfit Fairy Tales.

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 03:58:37 AM
Enjoyed both the emotional weight of the story and the perspective of a younger teen/older child, someone still finding their way in the world.  I also appreciated the "haven't decided" approach to both gender and life calling.  Combined with the spot on narration, this was a great listen.   :)