Author Topic: CoW Ep. 266: The Immobile God of Secrets  (Read 2658 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: September 21, 2017, 09:05:12 PM
The Immobile God of Secrets

• by Jamie Lackey
• Narrated by Nina Brady
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!
Read along with the text of the story
Click here to listen to Episode 266

Jamie Lackey lives in Pittsburgh with her husband and their cat. She has over 120 short fiction credits, and has appeared in Daily Science Fiction, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and the Stoker Award-winning After Death…. She’s a member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. Her short story collection, One Revolution, and her science fiction novella, Moving Forward, are available on Amazon.com. She read submissions for the Hugo-winning Clarkesworld Magazine for five years and was an assistant editor for the Hugo-winning Electric Velocipede from 2012-2013. She served as editor for Triangulation: Lost Voices in 2015 and Triangulation: Beneath the Surface in 2016. Her debut novel, Left-Hand Gods, is available from Hadley Rille Books. In addition to writing, she spends her time reading, playing tabletop RPGs, baking, and hiking. You can find her online or on Twitter.

Nina Brady is half Japanese and spoke Japanese before she spoke English. When not doing school work she spends her time drawing and making music. She is currently working on her first story line for an RPG game. She would like to be an animator or game developer when she grows up. Follow her on Tumblr.

Jun slogged through the rice paddy, muddy water swirling around her calves.  She glanced behind her, checking again to make sure that Reiko and her cronies hadn't chased her.  The only figure in sight was a lone scarecrow, wearing a pointed straw hat and a tattered blue yukata. 
Its face, two wide eyes and a softly smiling line for its mouth, was painted onto a rough woven sack, and its wooden pole tilted slightly to the left.  It looked like it could bounce away at any second--Jun couldn't imagine a single crow braving it.

Tags: Cast of Wonders, comparison, empathy, family, forgiveness, friendship, Jamie Lackey, Jeremy Carter, love, Nina Brady, rejection, running, scarecrow, secrets, Young Adult fiction

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 02:49:34 AM
The scene with the monster was nicely effective without showing much of anything. Nicely done!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”