Author Topic: To Tell You the Truth, I Had to Lie a Little  (Read 78776 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #75 on: November 07, 2010, 05:10:13 PM
Back when I subbed the story, Bull Spec only had an emphasis on local writers, and was open to submissions from anyone else as long as the stories met the guidelines.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #76 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:51 PM
Heh. I haven't posted here in over 120 days the red font says. But this is some cool stuff!

First off, my story "God-Shaped Box" is live at the Journey Into...! Podcast and read by none other than Larry Santoro. I have squeed myself mightily.

Also, a Finnish magazine wants to translate Saint Darwin's Spirituals into Finnish. This is the first time I've been translated. Personally, I'm looking forward to finding out how to say ghostgasm in Finnish.

That's it for now. Will try to post back in less than 120 days...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #77 on: October 04, 2013, 06:34:32 PM

That's it for now. Will try to post back in less than 120 days...

Bwahahahahahahaha. Man, I'm such a sucker.

Anyway, I've not been writing as much as I'd like. But I have been writing some. I wrote a story for my daughter when she went to stay with her uncle for a week that I need to revise. I wrote (and revised and revised) a new Saint Darwin story I'm shopping around, and wrote a second one that I need to completely rewrite. And I got inspired by the PodCastle flash fiction contest to do a couple more pieces of short fiction (one is 1,000 words, needs to be revised, but is pretty close; the other needs to be finished).

So, looks like I have a bit a lot of revising to do. Good times!

I'm planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year (which I've never done before). I'm not sure if I'm gonna do a novel or try to write a bunch of short stories. Both have certain appeals, but I'd really like to write a new novel. (I'm just worried it needs more research. Well, not worried so much. It definitely needs to research. But I'm pretty sure I can't do all the research I want before Nov.)

Um, I don't think I linked to this before, but I talked about my "Ichabod Crane, Master of the Occult" story, which I think is fun for October. It's at Journey Into..., and I'm really thrilled with the audio production Marshal gave it. Also, I had a twisted Christmas story "Saint Nicholas's Helper" a couple years ago people seemed to like.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #78 on: October 06, 2013, 02:26:42 AM
If you want usable material, I recommend the batch of short stories route.  A 50K novel written in a rush is going to be such a muddle (unless you are already James Patterson or someone equivalently skilled at cranking 'em out) that it will take you three or four times as long just to edit it into usability.

Easier to post to the Crit Group, too. ;-)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #79 on: October 08, 2013, 04:20:06 PM
Ha. Yeah, the Crit Group...I think I've only put one story in there. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

So, my current thought for NaNoWriMo is I'll split the difference and write 2-3 stories, and maybe 20,000 words of a novel. (I figure the novel will be somewhere between 60-80K words in total, though that's a very rough guess. I really need to outline it to be sure.)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #80 on: October 08, 2013, 04:33:49 PM
Um, I don't think I linked to this before, but I talked about my "Ichabod Crane, Master of the Occult" story, which I think is fun for October. It's at Journey Into..., and I'm really thrilled with the audio production Marshal gave it.

I meant to tell you that this story has become the highest page-hit earner on the Journey Into... blog site (I will have to get back to you on downloads).  This is mostly due to somebody posting a link to this story on the Wikipedia page for "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" under audiobooks.  I didn't do it, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #81 on: October 08, 2013, 04:48:47 PM
Whoa! That's pretty cool, Marshal! Thanks - I had no idea. (I didn't post it to Wikipedia either.)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #82 on: October 11, 2013, 08:35:49 PM
So...finished revising one of the stories (I think) and have sent it out to some betas. There's at least one other story I'd like to revise before NaNoWriMo.

Weirdly, I realize that 3 of the last 4 stories I've worked on have contained angels in some form. But the fourth story has an amusement park on the back of a giant floating turtle, so maybe that evens things out.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #83 on: October 25, 2013, 08:30:56 PM
Spent a chunk of time today revising "All Things to All People." I probably need to do one or two more reads of it, but I feel pretty happy with it. Will probably send it out sometime next week.

Then I'll have two submissions out, which is sadly a pretty big deal for me these days. (Yeah, I suck. Don't be like me when you grow up!)

Might maybe possibly get a chance to still work on revisions to that other story before NaNoWriMo.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #84 on: August 07, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
Wow. Not since pre-NaNoWriMo?

So, things have been going good. I've now got five stories out on submission (one of them a reprint), with a couple others pretty close to joining them. All in all, I'm pretty enthusiastic.

More soon, I think :)