Author Topic: To Tell You the Truth, I Had to Lie a Little  (Read 78772 times)

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 12:34:38 PM
Neat! I have notions of starting a podcast. I've also had the idea of live readings in Second Life, and maybe even at my local library.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 05:30:45 PM
It's here!  Episode 1 of my podcast, "The Unbelievable Origin of Superspiff and the Toothpick Kid" is now up at my new website Dave Shot First.  Hear me ramble about secret identies (the real golden rule), would-be superheroes (not to be confused with poser superheroes), Cyberpunk and the Cyber-Commandos (the cool and teh suck).  Like I say in the intro, I wrote this to be an intergenerational thing, so if you have kids, hopefully they'll get a kick out of it, too.

Obviously, all this tech stuff is a work in progress for me.  Any feedback you want to give on the story and the site is greatly appreciated.  (There's no itunes button, yet, but I'm hoping to add that soon.  I'm also going to try and tweak some of the blog formatting, -- i.e., make the red letters bigger.)

Hope you enjoy it!

Russell Nash

Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 07:05:44 PM
Dave, feel free to drop a double post in the podcast pedantry.  This is a one time offer.  Don't go nuts and make us come after you for spamming.  Anyway, I think you could get the word to a couple more people that way.  Don't forget to add it to your sig.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 07:28:22 PM
Thanks, man.  I appreciate it. 

Also, if you want to add the podcast to your sig, N-sh, that'd be alright with me  ;)

Russell Nash

Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 04:26:45 PM
Thanks, man.  I appreciate it. 

Also, if you want to add the podcast to your sig, N-sh, that'd be alright with me  ;)

$$$

Went to your site to download.  I didn't just want to download the first ep.  I wanted to set up the feed.  I had trouble finding the link.  When I did find it, the address was "feed:http…".  My comp didn't like the "feed:" part.  I copied edited and pasted and got your feed.  Just thought you might want to edit that link a bit.

I'll listen to it sometime during the week when the kids are in the car.  I'll let you know how it goes over.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 05:50:47 PM
I subscribed. I'll listen most likely on Monday at work.

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 02:09:37 AM
I listened and I really liked it!

Is there a reason the voice audio was only in my left ear? The music was right and left.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 06:30:44 AM
I listened and I really liked it!

Thanks!

Is there a reason the voice audio was only in my left ear? The music was right and left.

Erm, because I'm a leftist?  No, seriously, I actually have no idea why that happened, but I'll make sure it doesn't happen on the next episode.

Russell Nash

Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 09:27:26 AM
Dave,  I really liked it.  Having said that I'm going to move into the helpful (hopefully) nitpicks. 

The audio has been brought up.  It makes sense for the voice to be mono, but it needs to be in both channels. 

Your voice was really loud during the intro, probably in the red.  This causes some loss of quality.  Keep it in the green, man.

In your thanks section at the end you thank your father-in-law (I think) twice.  Sounds like you recorded it more than once and kept the two best recordings. 

All in all a super first podcast.  Most of the first eps I've heard were just horrible.  I don't think there's anything that won't shake out with experience. 

Played it for my kids this morning, but they're too young for this.  They didn't get the setting or anything.  Superheroes are just on underwear and t-shirts to them.  They have no idea about Comic conventions or anything of the sort.  I, however, am old enough to get it. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 04:34:30 PM
Glad you liked it, N-sh! 

And the nitpicks are much appreciated.  I'm very much trying to figure this whole thing out, and any feedback I get is very helpful.  So thanks!  Sound quality will definitely be something I have to work on for the next ep.

Russell Nash

Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 08:27:20 PM
Overall the sound quality was clear.  You were just too loud for some of it.  But there weren't bad echoes or other noises.  Sounds like you don't really need to change your set up at all.  You just need to get used to speaking a little more on a level.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 05:31:40 PM
Overall the sound quality was clear.  You were just too loud for some of it.  But there weren't bad echoes or other noises.  Sounds like you don't really need to change your set up at all.  You just need to get used to speaking a little more on a level.

Hopefully, it was better this last time.  Though I fear the audio was still somehow mysteriously tweaked by the leftists.

NEW NEWS!

I have a secret project.  Sweet! 

I have to write, edit, record, edit, and send out said secret project in about two weeks.  Not a lot of time for dilly dallying. 

Let the good times roll, I guess  8)

SteveCooperOrg

• Palmer
Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 11:11:54 AM
DKT: Congratulations on God-shaped box. I just read it and really enjoyed it. Very neat little piece, lovely idea.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 04:06:29 PM
Thanks much, Steve!  I'm glad you liked it :)

Chivalrybean

• Peltast
    • The Space Turtle
Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 12:33:34 AM
I'm totally hooked on the story. Both Episodes had left heavy sound. I had a tiny bit of sound in right on second. I don't really mind TOO much, since the story is great. Awaiting more episodes!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 06:22:41 PM
I'm totally hooked on the story. Both Episodes had left heavy sound. I had a tiny bit of sound in right on second. I don't really mind TOO much, since the story is great. Awaiting more episodes!

Thanks, man :) I hope to get the new episode up tonight/tomorrow.

In addition, my contribution to Stories of the Third Wave has been posted -- "The Cockroach's Bite" a candid interview with fringe hero and hero groupie The Cockroach.  It was actually the hardest thing I've recorded, but it was a lot of fun to do.  Hope you dig it. 

Hoping to be done with the rewrite/polish of my novel by next week, and get it off to beta-readers by the end of the month.  After that I'm looking forward to getting lost in writing some short stories. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 10:23:12 PM
Finished the second rewrite and polish of Fallen Horizon.  It's going out to Beta-Readers one more time because I'm glutton for punishment, and I want to absolutely nail this thing (I've spent so much time working on it, it'd be a waste not to). 

But I'm feeling pretty good about it, and suspect after that, I'll be ready to send it out into the great wide open. 

Hopefully now I'll have more time to get back into the crit group.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 09:31:18 PM
I finished a draft I'm happy with of "Heart of Clay," which is a story set in the "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" world. 

I'm letting "Haole" ruminate for a bit more in my head.  The feedback from the crit group here has been really helpful and has given me some solid ideas on how to make it better before sending it out to Weird Tales.  The changes I need to make seem tangible now, where before I was just confused.

Have not touched "God Is My Programmer."  I read over it a few weeks ago and liked it, but it feels very much unfinished and rough, and I'm not at all sure what to do with it. 

Not sure what I'm going to work on next short fiction-wise.  I've got ideas for another Puritan Noir story and two other stories set in the Last Respects universe.  Also, I'd really like to try and write a Weird Western.  Decisions, decisions...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 10:30:28 PM
"The Gearaffe That Didn't Tick" didn't tick enough for Shimmer and is now hitting the slushpiles of other magazines.  I'm optimistic about this one.  The rejection from Shimmer was very encouraging and convinced me the story was solid enough.  Also, it's one of the most G/PG-rated things I've written in a while and as a result, I feel like there's HUGE number of markets it could go to.

"Heart of Clay" is coming back from Beta-Readers now.  I don't think it will be too long 'til it's ship-shape and ready to go out.

Starting back in on "Haole" now...Thanks to the group here, I feel like I'm not going in blind :)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 07:49:15 PM
Almost almost done with a rough draft of a new space opera-esque short story I think will be called "Life-Debt" (I was originally thinking about calling it Starkiller, but I'm thinking eventually the story will morph into something bigger and Starkiller might be a better name for whatever that is).  It's been fun.  I don't think I've ever written a serious space opera type story before.  Anyway, I'm enjoying playing with some of the space opera tropes.  It's relatively short so far and will probably finish under 4,000 words. 

After I finish that draft, I'm going to write a horror/crime story called "Sammy's Girl."  Not sure how long that's going to be, although I think I've already figured out the basic premise and characters and everything.  Well, more like I lifted the basic premise and characters.  But it's cool, I only stole from the Bible.  I'm banking on God being cool with Creative Commons.

I've got to write that one at marathon speed.  Like in a couple days.  :o

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 12:01:16 AM
Started writing a new story in the Last Respects universe. Almost finished with it. Should be short, sweet, and disturbing. Hopefully.

Almost finished with a draft of "Sammy's Girl," which may have received a deadline extension. It was a lot harder to write than I thought it would be.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 05:28:16 PM
Resold "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" to the Triangulation anthology series! I did kind of an extensive rewrite on it at the request of the Triangulation editors and am really, really pleased with how it came out.

Now I'm rewriting the new story set in the LR universe...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 05:54:36 PM
Sold "Heart of Clay" to Murky Depths! It's a sort of sequel to "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" and will also be a podcast on Variant Frequencies.

I think it's coming out in 2010, though. Wowza, that's a long ways away (or at least, it sounds like it's a long ways away).

Working on a new superhero short story at the moment. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do after that, but I've got a few options...

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #48 on: July 30, 2009, 03:38:50 PM
So, thanks to Swamp, I realize I'm a little late in pointing out here that the Triangulation: Dark Glass anthology is out, featuring a slightly different version of Saint Darwin's Spirituals and and and a Rachel Swirsky story. You can pick it up either as a download or in dead tree version. The cover is beautiful.

Also, Variant Frequencies production of Saint Darwin's Spirituals was nominated for a Parsec award! So wOOt!

In other news, I finished a new story - one I'm very excited about. I'm not sure I've ever had so much fun writing a story as I did that one.

Also need to take another crack at the new superhero story.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #49 on: October 21, 2009, 08:08:19 PM
Coming soon to Variant Frequencies (and maybe somewhere else) - Puritan Noir: Love Burns! Kind of a sexy, violent, darkly romantic comedy set during the Salem Witch trials.

Well, at least I thought it was funny  ;)