Author Topic: PC496: When You Find Such a Thing  (Read 2651 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:35 PM
PodCastle 496: When You Find Such a Thing

by Suyi Davies Okungbowa
read by Solomon Osadolo
hosted by Setsu Uzume

A PodCastle original

Rated PG-13.

Yes, I know meeting my girlfriend’s parents wasn’t on my to-do list for the next few forevers, but it happens that Gbemi is the slyest babe I’ve dated, so I should’ve known, ba? One minute we’re off on a supposed spontaneous getaway weekend she planned for us; next thing, I’m sitting under the dining chandelier at her parents’ Lekki duplex, struggling to explain to her father what I do for a living.

Click here to continue reading.

Suyi tells stories from Lagos, Nigeria. His speculative fiction has been published or is forthcoming in Fireside, PodCastle, The Dark, Mothership Zeta, Omenana; and the anthologies Lights Out: Resurrection and A World of Horror; amidst other places. His nonfiction has appeared in Lightspeed and Klorofyl. He is a charter member of the African Speculative Fiction Society. Suyi also works in brand marketing and visual design. He lives online on Facebook, tweets at @IAmSuyiDavies, blogs at suyidavies.com and chatters at his monthly jabberwock, After Five Writing Shenanigans.

Solomon Osadolo is a copywriter, editor, and Podcaster based in Lagos, Nigeria. He’s the Editor of forLoop Weekly from ForLoop Africa and is a Content Associate at Anakle.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:45:50 PM by Ocicat »

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:10:28 PM
Nice story. I had some trouble getting into it at the beginning, and then something fortuitous happened, and there was some sort of glitch in the recording so I had to go to the website to read along....

And I ended up with 15 tabs open in my browser from looking up various words from the story that, had I been driving or otherwise occupied while listening, I would have missed. I'm glad I took the time, because it did help get into the story more.

And then that ending! Nicely done. That turned out a lot creepier than I suspected it would from the humble beginning. Really enjoyed it. :)

(Also, I kind of want to try Hobnobs, jollof rice, and ogbono soup. Never did figure out what Bama meant, but maybe someone here knows and will tell me. :) )

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:01:58 PM
I also heard the audio glitch around the 6 min mark, but it resolved within 30 seconds. I wish the narration had been clearer and less staticky, but I recognize that the range of narrators Escape Artists uses is staggering and sometimes the equipment can't always be right. I was trying to think what I would say if my romantic partner told me they were magic. I like the exploration of how something supernatural would affect a mundane familial or romantic relationship. I'm really unsettled by what happened at the end. Is it as sinister as a compliance spell? Unsure.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 02:51:38 PM
Maybe the past persecution of wizards wasn't such an injustice. If they are willing to use their magic to control the ones they love, I doubt they would hesitate to use it on those they do not.