Author Topic: Flash Pseudopod  (Read 21614 times)

Russell Nash

on: January 21, 2007, 12:44:31 PM
Are we going to Have Pseudo Flash fiction also?

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:08:14 PM
There are some already, if you dig through the archive. "Waiting for Father" is my favorite so far.
Unless you're talking about a short-essay contest?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

smartbombradio

• Peltast
  • Clthulhu loves me, this I know!
    • One Eighteen: Migration
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:42:32 AM
I'd love to do a Pseudopod Flashfic contest.  Considering how well the other one is turning out this seems like a natural next move.

Russell Nash

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:24:47 AM
There are some already, if you dig through the archive. "Waiting for Father" is my favorite so far.
Unless you're talking about a short-essay contest?

My face is red. I remembered those as being EP flash.

I do like the idea of an under 300 contest for PP, so I'll say that was what I really meant.

Steven Saus

• Matross
  • mmmm. goat cheese.
    • Ideatrash
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:42:45 PM
I think it's a great idea - and I think it'll be a lot harder, both on writers and judging.

Walking is the process of controlled stumbling.

Xenomundus

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 09:23:16 PM
Maybe up it to 600 words or so? Horror does require more buildup, usually. However, "The Long Goodbye" in the current EP Flash contest was able to affect me in a way suited to Pseudopod.

Steven Saus

• Matross
  • mmmm. goat cheese.
    • Ideatrash
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 09:51:12 PM
I like the brevity constraints, but I'll just toss this thought out there:

Were a Pseudopod flash fic contest to happen, for the love of whatever you hold sacred, the volume of stories must be lower.  10-12 horror stories a day... well, that's a good recipie for jaded.

Jaded... GOAT CHEESE!

*ahem*

Sorry.  Anyway.

Walking is the process of controlled stumbling.

smartbombradio

• Peltast
  • Clthulhu loves me, this I know!
    • One Eighteen: Migration
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 06:47:23 AM
I think he's agreed that all future contests be one entry per person.  That would be about 9 groups which, over the course of a month wouldn't be too bad. 

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:44:57 AM
I'm all for it, but I'll need a couple of months to recuperate from the EP contest first ;)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:54:03 AM
I apologize if this is annoying anyone, but I hadn't wandered into this area before, and I'm finding good ideas that need to be brought back to life.

So.... Flash fic fans, what about it?

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 10:17:47 PM
I apologize if this is annoying anyone, but I hadn't wandered into this area before, and I'm finding good ideas that need to be brought back to life.

So.... Flash fic fans, what about it?
Well, if you're going to dig this up again: I'm always up for making a public spectacle of myself... or helping others do the same. I think a flash contest is a great idea.

midas68

• Extern
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 06:43:18 PM
There was a tremendous amount of Horror Flash fiction Books printed by Barnes and noble imprint about ten or so, years ago. I was surprised by all the Big name Writers that was in these Volumes. I wonder if there could be a cost effective  goldmine there for our Super Producers to tap into.

Those "100 scary stories" etc books. What do you guys think?

Chip/Chip

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 06:33:27 PM
There was a tremendous amount of Horror Flash fiction Books printed by Barnes and noble imprint about ten or so, years ago. I was surprised by all the Big name Writers that was in these Volumes. I wonder if there could be a cost effective  goldmine there for our Super Producers to tap into.

Those "100 scary stories" etc books. What do you guys think?

Chip/Chip

Chip,

The best way to get those guys on PP is for readers to send them emails saying they should give PP a chance.

ellenscult

• Extern
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 02:41:05 PM
*raises hand*

Hi guys! This is your friendly slushpile reader here! If there's going to be a flashfic contest, any chance I can get a heads-up beforehand? I'll need to schedule in some more reading time if the volume of submissions is going to go up considerably. Well, I say schedule in more time. Actually, I'll be reading instead of cruising LJ when I should be working at my day job. *grin*

Isn't 1000 words pretty much the upper limit for flashfic anyway? Because I have this really awesome (gross and disgusting) story that tops out at 1000 words that I could submit...

Oh, wait, that'd be a bit of a conflict of interest... Never mind! lol

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 04:55:02 PM
I'm all for it.  Horror isn't usually my bag, but I need a challenge to get me going.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Russell Nash

Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 06:03:47 PM
*raises hand*

Hi guys! This is your friendly slushpile reader here! If there's going to be a flashfic contest, any chance I can get a heads-up beforehand? I'll need to schedule in some more reading time if the volume of submissions is going to go up considerably. Well, I say schedule in more time. Actually, I'll be reading instead of cruising LJ when I should be working at my day job. *grin*

Isn't 1000 words pretty much the upper limit for flashfic anyway? Because I have this really awesome (gross and disgusting) story that tops out at 1000 words that I could submit...

Oh, wait, that'd be a bit of a conflict of interest... Never mind! lol

Ellen (is that right?)

The last time we did a flashfic contest everything submitted was put up without names and was voted on by the forumites.  There wouldn't be any conflict of interest.  You can't really affect the outcome.  At least I know I couldn't.  All of my favorites got their asses kicked

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 11:35:45 PM

The last time we did a flashfic contest everything submitted was put up without names and was voted on by the forumites.  There wouldn't be any conflict of interest.  You can't really affect the outcome.  At least I know I couldn't.  All of my favorites got their asses kicked

Just have better taste next time.  ;D

CammoBlammo

• Matross
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 12:47:58 AM
There wouldn't be any conflict of interest.  You can't really affect the outcome.  At least I know I couldn't.  All of my favorites got their asses kicked

Really? What's the point of being a moderator if you can't delete subs you don't like?

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 04:44:36 PM
There wouldn't be any conflict of interest.  You can't really affect the outcome.  At least I know I couldn't.  All of my favorites got their asses kicked

Really? What's the point of being a moderator if you can't delete subs you don't like?

I just thought I should have unlimited votes.

ellenscult

• Extern
Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 11:05:56 PM

Ellen (is that right?)

*grin*  That's me! Hi... :) 

Ah, fair enough! In that case, I may well go for it. Anyway, anything which gets people involved in writing and submitting stuff and listening to more fiction is good to me.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 02:20:00 AM

Ellen (is that right?)

Ah, fair enough! In that case, I may well go for it. Anyway, anything which gets people involved in writing and submitting stuff and listening to more fiction is good to me.
Ellen, you're doing a wonderful job. Thank you for all the hard work you're doing at work instead of work.
As an aside: as one of the unsung heroes of Pseudopod you could have enjoyed walking away scot free, but now that you've been introduced you're going to have to enjoy a really impressive death scene.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 02:47:14 AM
Oh, and Ellen... the best part (for you) is that there wouldn't be any additional effort required from you.  The moderators (IIRC) handled the receiving/posting of the stories.  And basically, WE would go through that slushpile!

Russell Nash

Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 06:26:30 PM

Ellen (is that right?)

The flash fic contest was all Steve.  He recieved, grouped, posted, moved, reposted, etc..  I think if we were to have another, someone else would have to volunteer for it.  I think it needs to be a three person deal at least. 

Here's the rules from the last one if anyone needed a refresher.  It pretty much outlines the way Steve set it up and ran it. 

BTW, I volunteer to do any of the forum stuff needed to run another contest.  I think bdoomed and Heradel would too, but someone would need to ask them.

ellenscult

• Extern
Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 11:14:24 AM

Ellen, you're doing a wonderful job. Thank you for all the hard work you're doing at work instead of work.
As an aside: as one of the unsung heroes of Pseudopod you could have enjoyed walking away scot free, but now that you've been introduced you're going to have to enjoy a really impressive death scene.

Thank you! I really enjoy reading the slushpile. It's a great opportunity to discover some fantastic new stories.

Can I have the original Buffy TVS film sidekick death scene? I particularly like the kicking the stairs bit... "Ooh, ooh, oh, ow, argh, cough..." *grin*

ellenscult

• Extern
Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 11:16:12 AM
Oh, and Ellen... the best part (for you) is that there wouldn't be any additional effort required from you.  The moderators (IIRC) handled the receiving/posting of the stories.  And basically, WE would go through that slushpile!

You know, this is sounding better and better... *heh* Happy reading, then!