Author Topic: PC506: La Gorda and the City of Silver  (Read 3930 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: January 24, 2018, 07:35:17 PM
PodCastle 506: La Gorda and the City of Silver

Rated PG-13 for noble luchadores and kickass luchadoras.

Sabrina Vourvoulias is the author of Ink (Crossed Genres, 2012), a novel that draws on her memories of Guatemala’s armed internal conflict, and of the Latinx experience in the United States. It was named to Latinidad’s Best Books of 2012.

Her short stories have appeared at Uncanny Magazine, Tor.com, Strange Horizons, Crossed Genres, and in a number of anthologies, including Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History, The Year’s Best Young Adult Speculative Fiction 2015, and Latin@ Rising.

She is also freelance op-ed columnist whose commentaries have appeared at Philly.com, Philadelphia Weekly, Philadelphia Magazine, City and State Pennsylvania, and The Guardian US, among others. Follow her on Twitter @followthelede.

She lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, daughter and a dog who rules the household.

Sandra is a New York born and raised voice actress with a background in English literature and writing. After a childhood where video games were banned from the house, she one-eighty’d so hard she’s finally in them and never leaving. Voice over training in between jobs, fan projects she created for her favorite games soon gained recognition and lead to her first paid role with Wadjet Eye Games.

Some games Sandra’s voiced for include the Primordia, Apotheon, Heroes of Newerth, Marvel’s Avengers Academy, and most recently Brawl Stars by Clash of Clans developer Supercell. She also provides voice over and editing services for countless lifestyle and education podcasts. When she’s not voice acting you can catch her on Twitter or Facebook under the handle “DustyOldRoses,” obsessing over good food, good games and the color pink.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:39:00 PM by Ocicat »

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:44:37 PM
Loved this! It definitely gives me an incentive to look into Lucha Libre and the Luchadores.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Jethro's belt

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 02:07:10 AM
A lot of fun with a serious dark topic, but it work; well done.

irishlazz

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:22:07 PM
Completely agree with the previous comments - great story that handles a dark truth well and makes me curious to read more about the Lucha Libre and the Luchadores.  Would love to see this on the big screen.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:40:25 PM
This reminds me a lot of Diana, the hunter of bus drivers in Juarez, a vigilante who shot drivers who had raped and/or killed women. Article attached for further reading. Make evil afraid of evil's shadow.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/diana-hunter-of-bus-drivers/

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 11:03:55 PM
This was an excellent story. It brought to mind "The Cautionary Tale of Numero Cinco" which is one of the best episodes of Angel that ever aired. The world can always use some more luchadors.

I appreciate the info that the inspiration was based on some specific occurrences, as that helped keep it out of easy "fridge / mama bear" motivation territory.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:48:34 PM
This felt very real! More like fiction than fantasy, and rosy and gritty at the same time.