Author Topic: EP617: A Cure for Homesickness (Artemis Rising)  (Read 9736 times)

eytanz

on: March 02, 2018, 04:16:53 PM
Escape Pod 617: A Cure for Homesickness (Artemis Rising)

AUTHOR : S. L. Scott
NARRATOR : Erik Luke
HOST: Mur Lafferty

---

Krem was dead.

Well, not exactly, yet, but he knew death when he saw it, and the scavenger holding a plasma shotgun three feet from his face sure looked like death. The Torqu might have exoskeletons strong enough to keep hardened steel from piercing, but that wouldn’t stop the ensuing explosions from ripping him apart. They’d just be nice big chunks instead of tiny pieces. Not that Krem was surprised he’d go this way. He’d signed up for glory and adventure traveling the galaxy, and what that really meant was boring travel time followed by constant near-death experiences. The former he’d learned to live with; the latter, it seemed, would be harder to ignore.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 01:40:30 AM
First of all, Eric Luke is one of my favorite narrators. I did really love this crew, definite fan fiction potential for speculating how they came together and where they will go from here. I loved Krem as the straight man next to Max's human impetuousness and risk-taking behavior for seemingly nonsensical reasons.  The plot twist reminded me of this tumblr post.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:27:56 PM
I loved this story as well, the world building - giving us the information we needed, but still allowing us enough freedom to speculate on the hows and whys of this world.

And Krem was the perfect straight-man for Max.

I look forward to hearing more from the author.

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 03:11:46 AM
I'm with Mur on this one: MORE PLEASE!!!!

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 11:47:16 AM
Artemis Rising, AKA business as usual.

This was an awesome story. Despite the general bad-assedness of the human in the story, it clearly showed that war weariness can come upon the most hardened of vets. I was originally quite skeptical when Dell said, "I've got this". I was sure that he was overlooking some detail of human psychology.

But, Omigosh, he did indeed "have it". Then I laughed continuously for the last five minutes of the story. I had to rewind and listen again, and it was even better. This is exactly the kind of fun Steve Eley was looking for when he started this podcast.

Thumbs up! (as if you couldn't tell).

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:14:34 PM
I also want more! This world (galaxy? universe?) is so rich with potential, and I want to see the bond  grow between Max and her new raok.

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 02:08:13 AM
Who's a good Psychopathic Homicidal Jungle cat? That's right, You Are.

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 06:09:46 AM
I know I'm not supposed to have favorites, but, well, let's be honest... You love all your kids, but there is that one who has you wrapped around their finger, yes?

This is the story version of that... :)

Eric Luke I could listen to all day, and the characterization was spot-on.

But what really did this one for me was that the alien species felt, well, alien... They don't get each other, but they respect each other and, dare I suggest, even love each other.

Not much S-F does this well. This one blew it out of the water.

-Adam
Producer

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 01:51:54 PM
I really enjoyed this one, too. It's weird, because it almost seemed like 2 stories in 1. First you had the action adventure flick and then you had the touchy-feely story. I usually would have found this very jarring, but here it somehow worked.

Fonzie

• Extern
    • My Blog
Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 02:35:26 PM
THIS WAS GREAT!!!!

I loved every single thing about this story.  The world building, the character interaction, the plot development, the narration, and the even the cute "pet" at the end.
Cool guns, cool aliens, comradery, killing bad guys, narrow escapes and cool science stuff!!!
Love love love.

More in this world! Please!

Onikaze

• Extern
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 06:56:09 PM
I enjoyed this one, mostly because of the crew's cohesion despite being from different species. I was a fan of Farscape and Firefly for similar reasons... I like stories were people come together as teams, stronger together than they would be solo.

“You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.”
-Inigo Montoya

“When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."
-Humpty Dumpty \

statisticus

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 06:34:47 AM
Reading the comments I see that I'm in the minority here, but this one really rubbed me up the wrong way.  Some clever ideas and good world building, but the story came across as incredibly patronising and condescending.  The human female hurt herself?  Patch her up and she'll be as good as new!  The human female is lonely?  Give her some weird animal and she'll be happy again!  Nobody understands why human females like these hideous creatures, but if it keeps her happy we can put up with it, and maybe she'll turn out to be a good team member after all.  No real attempt to sympathise or empathise with the human female, just to find out whatever weird things are needed to keep her happy.

I know, not what the author intended and not what anyone else here heard, but I found this story seriously annoying.  Not what I expected from Artemis Rising at all.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:36:28 AM by statisticus »

I am a Statistician.  One false move and you're a Statistic.

Jen

• Palmer
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 06:29:14 PM
I didn't find it patronizing, but I did find it boring. I found the alien-ness of the aliens (or the human) over-explained and the story non-existent. Person gets wounded, person gets healed, person gets an alien cat and is now happy? Krem was an interesting character, but that's about it.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 03:42:03 AM
This story is easily my favorite Escape Pod of the year, and quite possibly, after a few listens, may be one of my favorites ever. Space marines with good action plus KITTIES! I was completely locked in and had a wash of anxiety when Max took a bullet when the cover fire slacked off for a moment. I was super excited by the appearance of Commodore McFlufferton, and really appreciated the fine craftsmanship that allowed cat people to project cat onto the critter and dog people to project dog onto the critter.

This gives me the same warm fuzzies of the good run of Captain Marvel, including Chewie.

The human female hurt herself?  Patch her up and she'll be as good as new!  The human female is lonely?  Give her some weird animal and she'll be happy again!  Nobody understands why human females like these hideous creatures, but if it keeps her happy we can put up with it, and maybe she'll turn out to be a good team member after all.  No real attempt to sympathise or empathise with the human female, just to find out whatever weird things are needed to keep her happy.

The way I heard it, is Max was presented as a human. Not a human female. I don't think gender was even a consideration for Krem. Doing a word search in the story, the word "female" never shows up. "Woman" only appears twice in this context: "With more care than finesse, Krem snatched up the woman sitting on a table in front of Sovad with two claws and deposited Max in her place with the other two. The woman gave Krem an indignant expression that didn’t make him feel bad for interrupting."

I think it might be worth considering what you're projecting into the story, and what is on the page. The appearance of the pet is crafted with the same care, as I pointed out above. I am totally a cat person, so Commodore McFlufferton was a kitty for me. I am willing to place a wager that dog people will defend it being a dog. [Insert meme: RAOKS ARE DOGS -- CHANGE MY MIND]

Readers are always well served to consider what they are bringing to their reading experience.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 03:48:51 AM
Ooh! Another awesome thing about this story that I forgot in the last post. It's about two friends with no romantic subplot. Their affection is real, but there is no need for romantic love anywhere in this story. Underrepresented themes in storytelling in the house!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 11:12:48 AM
Ooh! Another awesome thing about this story that I forgot in the last post. It's about two friends with no romantic subplot. Their affection is real, but there is no need for romantic love anywhere in this story. Underrepresented themes in storytelling in the house!

I think that underlines a major point of why I was drawn in so hard. As a woman who has had a few successful and strictly platonic close friendships with men, it is great to see it represented in fiction.

kylefiction

• Extern
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 09:03:19 PM
I really enjoyed this story.
I'm a sucker for adventure stories, and space pirates. But this story was just so darn sweet!
Well done, and excellently narrated!

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 09:04:15 PM
I didn't find it patronizing, but I did find it boring. I found the alien-ness of the aliens (or the human) over-explained and the story non-existent. Person gets wounded, person gets healed, person gets an alien cat and is now happy? Krem was an interesting character, but that's about it.

Maybe this story didn't have the most complex plot, but the details and world building make it vibrant and engaging. You didn't like the multitasking doctor, or the centuries old bioluminescent captain? Because I did. Although, I do feel like the idea that humans are the special glue that holds the mismatched crew together gets overused in science fiction, and fantasy stories for that matter.

I am totally a cat person, so Commodore McFlufferton was a kitty for me. I am willing to place a wager that dog people will defend it being a dog. [Insert meme: RAOKS ARE DOGS -- CHANGE MY MIND]
I'm a cat person, but the goofy tongue convinced me the roak is a doggie.

kylefiction

• Extern
Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 03:21:01 PM

Totally agree. The description of the roak made me think it was dog-like. (Didn't the story describe them hunting in packs?)

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:51 AM
Well, lions hunt in packs. I heard both catlike and doglike elements and really liked that -- it's an alien critter, so it shouldn't necessarily be directly analogous to any earthlike species.

Totally agree. The description of the roak made me think it was dog-like. (Didn't the story describe them hunting in packs?)

"D"

• Extern
Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 11:37:07 AM
Loved the story, world building, character development and the ending made me laugh & grin like an idiot. This episode almost makes up for the horribly sad ending of Sparg.

Yubla

• Extern
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 09:59:01 AM
a bit late to discover but my escape-pod favorite too! I find it smart and sensitive, straight forward but also shows out of the box thinking. WE WANT MORE!