Escape Artists

News:

• The Semifinals of the Podcastle flash fiction contest are happening now! Head over to the Arcade and vote!

News

The Semifinals of the Podcastle flash fiction contest are happening now! Head over to the Arcade and vote!

Author Topic: PC496: When You Find Such a Thing  (Read 2132 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: November 16, 2017, 07:16:35 PM
PodCastle 496: When You Find Such a Thing

by Suyi Davies Okungbowa
read by Solomon Osadolo
hosted by Setsu Uzume

A PodCastle original

Rated PG-13.

Yes, I know meeting my girlfriend’s parents wasn’t on my to-do list for the next few forevers, but it happens that Gbemi is the slyest babe I’ve dated, so I should’ve known, ba? One minute we’re off on a supposed spontaneous getaway weekend she planned for us; next thing, I’m sitting under the dining chandelier at her parents’ Lekki duplex, struggling to explain to her father what I do for a living.

Click here to continue reading.

Suyi tells stories from Lagos, Nigeria. His speculative fiction has been published or is forthcoming in Fireside, PodCastle, The Dark, Mothership Zeta, Omenana; and the anthologies Lights Out: Resurrection and A World of Horror; amidst other places. His nonfiction has appeared in Lightspeed and Klorofyl. He is a charter member of the African Speculative Fiction Society. Suyi also works in brand marketing and visual design. He lives online on Facebook, tweets at @IAmSuyiDavies, blogs at suyidavies.com and chatters at his monthly jabberwock, After Five Writing Shenanigans.

Solomon Osadolo is a copywriter, editor, and Podcaster based in Lagos, Nigeria. He’s the Editor of forLoop Weekly from ForLoop Africa and is a Content Associate at Anakle.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:45:50 PM by Ocicat »

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:10:28 PM
Nice story. I had some trouble getting into it at the beginning, and then something fortuitous happened, and there was some sort of glitch in the recording so I had to go to the website to read along....

And I ended up with 15 tabs open in my browser from looking up various words from the story that, had I been driving or otherwise occupied while listening, I would have missed. I'm glad I took the time, because it did help get into the story more.

And then that ending! Nicely done. That turned out a lot creepier than I suspected it would from the humble beginning. Really enjoyed it. :)

(Also, I kind of want to try Hobnobs, jollof rice, and ogbono soup. Never did figure out what Bama meant, but maybe someone here knows and will tell me. :) )

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:01:58 PM
I also heard the audio glitch around the 6 min mark, but it resolved within 30 seconds. I wish the narration had been clearer and less staticky, but I recognize that the range of narrators Escape Artists uses is staggering and sometimes the equipment can't always be right. I was trying to think what I would say if my romantic partner told me they were magic. I like the exploration of how something supernatural would affect a mundane familial or romantic relationship. I'm really unsettled by what happened at the end. Is it as sinister as a compliance spell? Unsure.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 02:51:38 PM
Maybe the past persecution of wizards wasn't such an injustice. If they are willing to use their magic to control the ones they love, I doubt they would hesitate to use it on those they do not.