Author Topic: Support Genre Fiction Magazines!  (Read 15678 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:20 PM
a larger part is intimidated by the way it looks.

I have a friend who says he's embarrassed every time he goes to pourchase an issue of F&SF, 'cuz of the old-fashioned, pulpy appearance of the cover.

That's not the sort of problem one finds with a magazine like Interzone.

I'm happy with my subscription to Asimov's. I'll also take the opportunity to plug Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet.

I love the pulpy covers!  The thing that intimidates me is how thick they are -- they look like small books.  Plus, I think that about half the space in them is devoted to novellas is a bit intimidating, too.  Spending some time reading a bunch of short stories appeals to me more.

IT_Spook

• Extern
Reply #26 on: October 02, 2007, 01:41:12 AM
The genre magazines have a special place in my heart. I don't subscribe to any of them in particular (although I should), but I do pick up one on a regular basis and carry it with me. I don't read it for entertainment as so much for inspiration and motivation. While I may not be the next Stephen King, dreaming of being published in Asimov seems kind of realistic, I guess.

Of course, everytime I listen to Escape Pod, I think "I should submit something".

Then again, everytime I watch a hockey game, I think "I could play that well...."

"You write novellas? Isn't that like the red-haried stepchild of novels?"

Vanamonde

• Extern
Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 05:32:46 PM
Although I've read about Asimov and Analog for years, I've never bought or seen an issue till last Wednesday. But I would have to agree with previous comments that the presentation of these mags is just cheap and nasty. The paper quality is woeful and combined with the total lack of colour on the inside of the magazine (or should I say paperback) makes the mags look unprofessional.

I almost missed them at my local Borders bookshop, they were lumped in with the glossy non fiction scifi mags likes SFX, Starburst and Starlog, and almost invisible in the mass of colour. If I hadn't been doing a deliberate search I doubt I would have noticed them.

If SF&F is just as bad in it's paper form, I mustn't be missing much by buying SF&F in ebook format.