Author Topic: Story behind your avatar?  (Read 112223 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #150 on: April 14, 2010, 01:39:11 PM
I was trafficking a spot for Pedigree Dentastix for dogs and when I saw this I had to take a screenshot and make an icon out of it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Effie Collins

• Peltast
    • Little Bits and Pieces
Reply #151 on: April 14, 2010, 10:34:22 PM
Well, my avatar is me, but it's stretched a bit, despite the fact that I resized the picture in photobucket. *shrug* I dunno, but that's me in all my stretched-out glory. :)

I finally got 700 monkeys. Now all I need is 700 typewriters and some way to live for 700 years...

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #152 on: April 25, 2010, 03:33:52 AM
My current avatar (4/24/2010) is by Larry Latham and can be found with other cool stuff at http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #153 on: June 05, 2010, 06:25:32 PM
My avatar is me in a Power Loader (ala Aliens) walking forklift I built a few years ago.  I'm a huge nerd.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #154 on: June 05, 2010, 06:36:54 PM
My avatar is the same avatar I've used in dozens of forums for the past ten years or so.  It was originally a photo captioned "Feline Levitation!" that got around the 'net for a while in those days.  Basically, you toss your kitty in the air and then snap a photograph, and instant hilarity is created.  My default username everywhere I go is "Scattercat," so I decided to use this as my "face" to go with my "name."  I'm very big on identity and being clear that I'm me wherever I go, so I use the same username/avatar combination everywhere I can.

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #155 on: June 06, 2010, 02:53:09 AM
re: Scattercat , I use the same username, however due to the diversity of forums I frequent the avatars change. I love the kitty picture and it does suit your username quite well.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #156 on: July 04, 2010, 07:43:18 AM
Wow, after a few years I finally got one to work!

Mine is a photo of Dr. Shock (Joe Zawislak), who was my local horror host broadcasting out of Philadelphia, PA on UHF channel 17 (WPHL) around 1977 or so, when I was growing up at the New Jersey shore and all of 10 years old.  He showed the usual package of second rate creature features on Saturday afternoons during 2 shows (MAD THEATRE and HORROR THEATRE, I was too young to stay up for his late night Saturday show, SCREAM-IN).  I remember him fondly and I'd like to grow up to be him someday.

Thanks for listening

"Let There Be Fright!"
Dr. Shock's traditional sign-off phrase.

Seraphim

• Matross
Reply #157 on: August 05, 2010, 01:54:13 PM
Mine is some red velvet worms. I chose it because they look sort of cool and I have some martian poetry about them.  They've nothing to do with my name unless you want to make a very distant connection between them being red and the root of the name seraphim being "fiery, burning" and fire burning red hot.

I may eventually change it...I once used an odd rocking chair that I sort of liked...maybe I'll do that again.

DToland

• Matross
  • Imagine Tomorrow - Bring it to life.
Reply #158 on: August 05, 2010, 02:02:29 PM
My writing is a window into my brain.

Faraway Ray

• Lochage
  • "I loved it!" "So? You also loved World War II!"
Reply #159 on: August 12, 2010, 01:50:54 AM
I mostly joined up for the flash fiction contests. Since I've panned 90% of the stories I've commented on, I figured Statler and Waldorf felt appropriate.  :)

A story of lust, violence and jelly.

Well, Here I Am. My little slice of the blaggin' world.

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #160 on: August 12, 2010, 02:03:06 AM
For a while I have been compelled by the concept of robots as main characters. Ever since Data, I've been fascinated by the struggle between emotion and logic, programming and free will.

I'm also interested in the D&D/fantasy trope of the paladin - one who is chosen to do good, but must grapple with the imperfect, venal world in which he lives... and his own imperfect venal nature.

Put them together and you get... ElectricPaladin.

Also, put them together and you get... Robo, from Chrono Trigger.

And he's my icon.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #161 on: August 12, 2010, 03:08:32 AM
I wish my story was as insightful. Essentially I grabbed ampic of Gamera because of my screen name. But, due to my overwhelming guilt over using am copyrighted image I was
motivated to Photoshop a copy of a photo I took of my cat's eye. Mostly I function as his heater/stevedore so I suppose I'm his avatar in a way....

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Boggled Coriander

• Lochage
    • Balancing Frogs
Reply #162 on: August 22, 2010, 07:35:52 AM
Self-portrait.  MySpace angle.  Tinkering with iPhoto.

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater." -  The Lyttle Lytton contest

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #163 on: February 08, 2011, 03:21:53 PM
I love taking nature pics, and also I'm a bio nerd so I usually end up taking pictures of weird/cool bugs that I see. This grasshopper was sitting right outside my parking deck at work, so naturally I could be seen crawling around the sidewalk for the next five minutes trying to get the perfect picture.  ::) He stayed still until I was done and then promptly flew off once I stood back up. :)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #164 on: February 09, 2011, 01:51:11 AM
He stayed still until I was done and then promptly flew off once I stood back up. :)

Accommodating! Is he available for photo shoots?

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #165 on: February 09, 2011, 02:41:50 PM
Accommodating! Is he available for photo shoots?

He really was! Unfortunately he got impatient and flew off before I could pay him for his time or get his card. :P

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #166 on: February 21, 2011, 04:14:10 AM
New avatar!  Again, something I drew over the course of a long long long time because I was lazy and didn't finish it for a long long long long time.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #167 on: February 22, 2011, 01:28:55 AM
Nice one Bdoomed!

Corcoran

• Palmer
    • My shop-page (Only in German)
Reply #168 on: June 03, 2011, 07:12:11 AM
The cat on the pictue is Manfred, he rules the street where I live, sleeps in three different homes and he liked that cushion from the day I moved in here. So he comes by every other day to rest a bit, eat a bit and leaves again to do whatever he does out there

eytanz

Reply #169 on: June 03, 2011, 08:41:23 AM
So, I've had an avatar for quite a while now and haven't posted here, figured I should rectify that.

I don't normally like having an avatar on forums, but when I became a moderator someone (I forget who) suggested that having one will help people recognize my posts, which I felt was a good point so I added one. At the time, I had just returned from a wonderful holiday my fiancee (then girlfriend) and I had taken to Tanzania. One of the highlights of the trip was four days at Zanzibar, which was, for me at least, rather the perfect seaside holiday. One one of the small islands near Zanzibar there is a giant tortoise sanctuary, where they wander around and are fed spinach leaves by tourists such as myself. We took a lot of pictures of them, but I figured that the one I use as my avatar, with its slighty alien look, would be a good fit for this forum.

Here's another picture of one of its cousins; if I were moderating the PP or PC forums, I may have used the top right corner of it as an avatar instead:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A7pZjJKdpDQ/TLR-UJJuR1I/AAAAAAAAAX0/hmofIWiKIf4/s800/IMG_3838.JPG

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #170 on: November 18, 2011, 04:31:43 PM

This is a snapshot of some art that I created as a Christmas present for my aunt.  It's part of something I figured out how to do late last year, to turn a photograph of an animal into a cartoon-style image.  

The way I do it generally only works with short-haired animals that have very distinct bold lines.  I have tried this with my own dogs, but the results were not good because they are too fuzzy, and they end up looking like amorphous blobs instead of puppies.  My aunt's dog Rowdy, however, has nice short hair.  So I asked her for her favorite pictures of her dog, telling her it was for a surprise.  She emailed them to me, curious as to what I was up to.  So I made up the image, uploaded it to my CafePress store, and ordered a mug and a tote bag with the design printed on it.  I'll give it to her the next time I see her.  :)  I hope she likes it (though I don't think she'd tell me if she didn't).

Here is the original photo:

(This is also the same technique I used to create the horse in my Drabblecast illustration of "Malish":
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:34:43 PM by Unblinking »

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #171 on: November 22, 2011, 02:18:17 AM
Beautiful dog!

robertcday

• Palmer
  • I don't need anything from you.
    • MeMyMine
Reply #172 on: April 14, 2012, 02:39:15 PM
Erm, it's my head! Kinda novel for this forum, yes? ;)
Robert.

fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired"

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #173 on: April 15, 2012, 08:57:49 AM
Erm, it's my head! Kinda novel for this forum, yes? ;)
Robert.

Less novel than you might think... I mean, look at Talia's avatar...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #174 on: April 15, 2012, 11:23:05 AM
Also me and BDoomed.

Typing is a bitch when you're declawed, lemme tell you.