Author Topic: The Full Disclosure Thread  (Read 5116 times)

Russell Nash

on: October 18, 2007, 06:41:41 PM
This is the thread where we're going to inform you folk about anything we're doing that someone could possibly find objectionable.  I think we run a pretty clean ship here, but better to subject things to public scrutiny than look like you're hiding something.

I racked my brains (thought about it for three minutes while walking the dog) and could only come up with one thing. 

We have an Amazon code.  This is pretty standard for websites and forums.  When we have a link to Amazon, we add a little code on the end.  If someone clicks the link and buys the product, EP gets a percentage.  So far it hasn't paid a cent.  If you were going to buy one of these items and want to make a donation to EP, click the link and buy.  If you want the item but don't want to donate to EP, click the link look at something different then go back and buy it.  If it doesn't say Escapepod in the URL, we get nothing.

If you want all of you future Amazon links to be EP paying links, drop me a PM and I'll add the code to any future links you put in.  I read all of your posts anyway, so it's no big deal.  If you want to make sure I'll never get within 100 pixels of your links, you can also PM me.

gedion_ki

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:36:48 PM
Hey whats the code? Perhaps I might want to modify calling up amazon so that no matter what I'm buying it pays out to EP...  I just bought something to day and would have been glad to tack on EP for a kick back. If Amazon considers that to be cheating, well forget I asked then! :)

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 08:46:09 PM
Hey whats the code? Perhaps I might want to modify calling up amazon so that no matter what I'm buying it pays out to EP...  I just bought something to day and would have been glad to tack on EP for a kick back. If Amazon considers that to be cheating, well forget I asked then! :)

When I told someone else about the code he said we should start a "all I want for Christmas" thread and put coded links for everything.  Someone posts, "I want to get this" and then the next day the link is all set and they go and buy it.  I wanted to run that one past Steve first.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:22:19 PM
I noticed the amazon links on a post a few weeks back and thought about mentioning it. I think that if you're going to do something like that you need to mention it, and I was uncomfortable before because you hadn't. Having been mentioned, I think it's a great idea and even if it's only a few bucks ever few months it's better than nothing.

Maybe you could put links to some of the writers' books as well?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 05:28:20 AM
I think this is a fan-freakin-tastic idea Russell. I noticed you threw th EP tag on the end of that link and don't know why I didn't think about it. We really need to get that EP linked christmas list going. Excellent idea!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 06:13:33 PM
I think this is a fan-freakin-tastic idea Russell. I noticed you threw th EP tag on the end of that link and don't know why I didn't think about it. We really need to get that EP linked christmas list going. Excellent idea!

Agreed!  If I can afford to buy Christmas presents this year, I'd like someone deserving to get a cut!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!