Author Topic: EP641: Flash Fiction Contest Winners  (Read 2896 times)

divs

on: August 21, 2018, 04:06:57 PM
Escape Pod 641: Flash Fiction Contest Winners

AUTHORS : Kurt Pankau
AUTHORS : Karen Osborne
AUTHORS : Maria Haskins
AUTHORS : Paul R. Hardy

NARRATOR : Rebecca W. Hsieh
NARRATOR : S.B. Divya
NARRATOR : Tina Connolly
NARRATOR : Adam Pracht

HOST: S.B. Divya

---

“Burnt the Pop Tarts again?”

“Yes,” Toaster responded over wifi. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me.”

Blender whirred with sympathy.

“Owner was upset,” said Toaster. “She picked me up and looked at my underside to make sure everything was okay.”

“That’s odd,” said Blender. “There’s nothing there but your crumb tray, though.”

“I know, and so does Owner. I don’t know why she did it. It was humiliating.”

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:53:56 PM
I hadn't participated this year so these came out of the blue - they were fun!

I actually liked the last one most.

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:16:17 PM
I hadn't participated this year so these came out of the blue - they were fun!

I actually liked the last one most.

Yea! I had a great time reading it. :) I love doing that "Child carefully reading their written essay" sort of cadence.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 02:08:52 PM
Loved Toastmaster. That was really fun. Have a minor quibble with the "capacitance drained" wording, but will give it a pass, because the story was so much fun.

Didn't really understand Dollhouse. I mean I understood the main gist, but there were too many concepts that were poorly explained, and sometimes contradictory (like Tanya, who is in her meat body today, but still uses "Kennedy thing" gestures??). So didn't really enjoy this one.

Liked Kaiju Outside Hope. Good snippet of a much larger story, but satisfying in itself.

So Sorry You’re Going Extinct! was brilliant!! Funny and poignant at the same time. You can totally feel the last human's pain as they struggle between wanting to be left alone and not being alone. The alien children pleading with him was a stroke of genius. Now I am not sure if it was genuine or just a ploy....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:07:07 PM by CryptoMe »

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 02:47:53 AM
The Kaiju one was so awesome! A perfect slice into what my mind extrapolates into a thrilling story. So Sorry you're Going Extinct was heartbreaking in it plausibility, I would make those kinds of drawings as a child, not understanding complex issues.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN