Author Topic: PC539: Godfall  (Read 3433 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: September 11, 2018, 11:43:14 PM
PodCastle 539: Godfall

Rated R for gore and mild body horror.

Originally published at GigaNotoSaurus. This story also appears in Sandra’s collection Godfall and Other Stories.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 10:04:22 AM
Fascinating setting and cool story.

Cutting up gods is of course a trope in mythologies such as Norse or Greek, it also appears in Hinduism if I'm not mistaken. Including YHWH in the story was a bit jarring though because that's a totally different paradigm.

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 10:25:30 AM
The volume drops precipitously after the intro, and I couldn't make out what was being said. I think I'm going to have to edit this in audacity to raise the volume of the story section and I'll be able to listen to it.

rlzack

• Extern
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 03:02:14 PM
I second this, except that even at maximum volume, I couldn't hear the story at all. Had to skip this one.

I really enjoy this podcast, but this is not the first story where the volume has dropped so much after the intro. In the past, I could struggle through, but nothing I did today allowed me to hear. It is very frustrating!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 10:04:33 PM
Repurposing my prior review of this story:

Godfall was intensely weird, and I delighted in the apocalypse cult at the edge of the screen. This story lives in the same neighborhood as Ligotti’s “The Last Feast of Harlequin” as well as Laird Barron’s Old Leech cycle.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 08:17:10 AM
I didn't have the volume issue. Was listening to it on an ipod while in the gym.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 12:10:14 AM
This was very sad and also creepy. Here's proof that gods are real, but they are all dead when you see them and consumed by unstoppable space worms. From my personal world view, I would expect societies and everything to really fall apart, leading to an even more apocalyptic world than the one in the story.  The way Maya was described as very beautiful, and then ripped apart by the scavengers was tragic.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 12:15:48 AM
Yep, still love this story, and Anson Mount's narration was perfect. And my previous story still stands, although I definitely leaned more towards "Harlequin" resonance this time around.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”