Author Topic: writing and posting under a creative commons license  (Read 3358 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
on: November 13, 2007, 09:57:34 PM
Posting a story to your blog now counts as publication, which still feels weird to me, as does posting it on (ie) a fanfic site's original fiction section, or even on a public forum just for feedback (but a private/user-registration-restricted forum is probably okay).

All that said... if you put a CC license on your story, can you then say "it's been published under a CC license on (ie) Josh's Blog of Bloggy Goodness, but nowhere else"?  It would still count as a reprint, right?  If a journal doesn't accept reprints, would they not reprint the story?

I'm a little murky on it, even after reading Cory Doctorow's thing on CC.

Thinking about it because of Susannah Breslin's recent post:
http://reversecowgirlblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/hardyman.html

Basically, if I post a story on my LJ but put it in a friends-only area where only certain people (of my choosing) can see it, kind of like an online writing forum, but don't make it publicly available to anyone, does that count as prior publication?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:04:02 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but that's my understanding.  If it's F-locked, it hasn't been published because it doesn't come up with google.  I'm pretty sure that's why the flash fiction contest run here was posted in a private area of the forum -- so it wouldn't count as a publication.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 10:15:57 PM
Friends-locked is not prior publication, although if you have 650 friends, some of whom include the major mag editors, then... your mileage may vary.

Putting a piece in the public area of your blog or website does, indeed, count as first publication rights.

Generally, I would advise placing something up under creative common license on one of your own sites *after* it's been published in whatever market you want to see it in, and rights have returned to you.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:11:50 AM
For something with limited distribution, what about just using a plain-old-vanilla copyright label?

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")