Author Topic: Parental Chest Thumping  (Read 3511 times)

IT_Spook

• Extern
on: November 16, 2007, 08:08:26 PM
This is writing related and I needed someplace to state how proud of my 10 year old daughter.

She got back her final mark for her short fiction piece she had to do for Grade 5 Creative Writing. It was her first "big work" and she did 1500 words by hand over 4 days. I typed it up for her and showed her how to start a paragraph for each new thought.

I am very proud and excited she got an A-... and she wants to turn it into a really good story someday.

So, her and I are currently working on fleshing and editting her story (called "The Bird") together. It is an Egyptian fairy tale about a young boy who must save the Pharoh's daughter after being turned into a bird by an evil magician. It's got a few flow issues (like "... I got the magic feather from the next and I saw the special rock I needed as well on the ground!), but its her first major piece. With luck, we'll have a nice, coherent short story for a fantasy podcast in a year.

That is all. Everyone got back to their writing and if you are not motivated, think about the 10 year old girl who is determiend to finish her short story before her dad finsihes his.

Thanks for your time.

"You write novellas? Isn't that like the red-haried stepchild of novels?"

Loz

• Lochage
    • Blah Flowers
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 10:26:45 AM
Your daughter rocks! And tell her I expect to hear it on PodCastle some day!  ;D

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 10:48:58 AM
Your daughter rocks! And tell her I expect to hear it on PodCastle some day!  ;D

If Eragon can be made into a movie, this story can make it on to PodCastle.

Opabinia

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:23:42 AM
Or, possibly, into one of the numerous magazines that specifically accept children's work. For instance Stone Soup, and KidVisions.