Author Topic: My new writing toy...  (Read 3899 times)

bolddeceiver

• Matross
  • Plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars...
on: September 21, 2007, 07:49:10 AM
I was at the thrift store today, and made a great find...

It's a Smith-Corona Classic 12 portable manual typewriter.  Full working condition, a pretty fresh ribbon, and absolutely beautiful.  And almost embarassingly cheap.

Now, this wouldn't have that much to do with writing, except that I know for a fact that when I am forced to (A) write in a fairly linear fashion and (B) retype later drafts, I tend to write a lot better.  However, hand-writing more than a few pages at a time leaves me with a hand-cramp, and my handwriting gets bad enough when I'm writing quickly and in a writing trance that I can't always read it when I get back to type it up.  And I just don't have the discipline to retype something I printed off the computer.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this little machine better.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 11:11:50 PM by bolddeceiver »

Czhorat

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 11:59:15 AM
Neat. I use the computer for second and higher numbered drafts for ease of editting, etc. First drafts are done in ink. I have a little collection of about a half dozen nice fountain pens that I rotate through (although the Retro51 double 8 seems to have somehow earned the job of scoring baseball games). I just like the sensual feel of it more than banging keys.

The Word of Nash is the word of Nash and it is Nash's word.

gelee

• Lochage
  • It's a missile, boy.
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:04:15 PM
WOW.  Pretty.  I haven't seen one of those since I was in highschool.  I'd love one, but my wife would put an end to me writing once and for all.

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 07:42:05 AM
Ya know whut? It's the spitting image of one we gave to the Salvation Army thrift shop (in Sackville, NB. Canada) last Spring, I believe.
We didn't put a new ribbon in it, but I don't suppose there's a shallow dent in the carrying case, near the front of the top somewhere?

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")