Author Topic: EP666: This Wine-Dark Feeling That Isn’t The Blues  (Read 3128 times)

divs

on: February 08, 2019, 10:16:04 PM
Escape Pod 666: This Wine-Dark Feeling That Isn’t The Blues

AUTHOR : José Pablo Iriarte
NARRATOR : Alethea Kontis
HOST: Mur Lafferty

---

The Odyssey contains over three hundred mentions of color. Black. White. Red. Not a single blue though. Even the ocean is not described as blue, but as “wine-dark.” Likewise with the Koran and ancient Hebrew scripture: no blues, anywhere.

This is what I focus on during Savannah’s funeral. Otherwise, if I don’t keep my mind busy, I will think instead about how she didn’t keep her promise to me. And how I’m free of my promise to her.

If you can’t trust promises made by two girls in a psych ward, what can you trust?
I read somewhere that Elon Musk thinks we’re living in a simulation. Neil deGrasse Tyson too. It would explain impossible shit like Donald Trump getting elected president—just a bug in the code somewhere.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 05:09:25 PM by divs »

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:53:02 PM
This one just wasn't believable for me. I don't think she could have made enough of a difference to be noticed by the simulation runners and I don't think they would have communicated with her. The seed for the story with the mentions of color was interesting though.

CoonSkin

• Extern
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:59:37 AM
Haha. Blue wasn't backed up.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 08:03:37 PM
I found this story to be just a kernel of an idea, not a fully fleshed idea. I really liked the kernel, though. But it felt like none of the concepts (suicide, second chances, good byes, and even our world as a simulation) were much explored, just kind of introduced and left there.