Author Topic: 1999 A.D.  (Read 4276 times)

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
on: December 14, 2007, 04:48:44 PM
You may have seen snippets of this on YouTube, but here I found the complete film (go here if you want some preview information).  This is a 1960's educational film that predicted technology decades into the future: 1999.  While the ideas come out to be amazingly accurate, the '60's visualization of them is kind of comical.  Enjoy!

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Jim

• HP Lovecraft's 275,892nd biggest fan.
  • Matross
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 06:34:32 PM
And here's what people a few years earlier than that thought might happen the following year:

http://www.vintagetooncast.com/2006/06/40-your-safety-first.html

(scroll down to "Your Safety First")

What I adore about it is the portrayal of a highly-shortened work week... I wish!

But some of the other ideas in it are actually not too far off.

My imaginary omnipotent friend is more real that your imaginary omnipotent friend.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:39:11 PM
Computer: 3 wrong.  You Flunk.

With teaching like that we would have ended up with a society of drop-outs.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:43:37 PM
Computer: 3 wrong.  You Flunk.

With teaching like that we would have ended up with a society of drop-outs.

I'm not quite sure that's false.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 04:10:30 AM
They got the home health center half right.  People have stuff in their home to work out with, but it usually just collects dust while they eat McDonald's and get fat.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 04:40:52 AM

The title is "Your Safety First" but there were no guardrails on the elevated roads.  I understand the computer was driving (or was it the lady he called to get permission to pass) but if he blows a tire or something.  Also, if the cars could fly, why bother with roads? 

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 04:30:37 AM
Also, if the cars could fly, why bother with roads? 
Flying mode probably uses up the plutonium faster.

The title is "Your Safety First" but there were no guardrails on the elevated roads.
Ah. Maybe the "roads" are only holographic virtual roads for visual reference, like painted white lines. The cars are always in flight, and under computer control.

The first thing I noted in the 1999 film was the lack of handrails on the cantilevered stairs leading up to the house's main entrance. Above a foot or two, I think building codes in most jurisdictions require them.

That poncho/hood thing the kid was wearing on the beach - do you suppose that was for protection from UV rays? Protection from toxic seagull poop? Flak armour?

"Here in the Future, no decisions shall be made without first rubbing our chins."

It seems that castrati singers are back in vogue too. Oh... I guess they nailed that one.

Don't worry about cable interconnection compatibility. Everything is hooked up through banana jacks.

Pity the testing terminal cannot also play the lecture file. The poor kid has to shlep all the way over to the other terminal to review the material.

No need to type or push a pointing device around. I guess the terminals have a telepathic interface that allow the user to reconfigure the half dozen unlabeled identical pushbuttons as required.

I can't wait to see the new SonyCokeFord 5-D handicam and playback unit. Maybe the 5th "dimension" is odor.  Do you suppose it also records Duodecaphonic Surround Sound?

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:00:14 AM
That poncho/hood thing the kid was wearing on the beach - do you suppose that was for protection from UV rays? Protection from toxic seagull poop? Flak armour?

haaaaaaaaahahahhahahahahhaahahaha!!!!

"Here in the Future, no decisions shall be made without first rubbing our chins."

haaahahahahahha

It seems that castrati singers are back in vogue too. Oh... I guess they nailed that one.

Don't worry about cable interconnection compatibility. Everything is hooked up through banana jacks.

Pity the testing terminal cannot also play the lecture file. The poor kid has to shlep all the way over to the other terminal to review the material.

No need to type or push a pointing device around. I guess the terminals have a telepathic interface that allow the user to reconfigure the half dozen unlabeled identical pushbuttons as required.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!

I can't wait to see the new SonyCokeFord 5-D handicam and playback unit. Maybe the 5th "dimension" is odor.  Do you suppose it also records Duodecaphonic Surround Sound?
lol

*tear* you sir are hilarious

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?