Author Topic: CoW Ep. 355: Artemis Rising 5 –Why I Spared the One Brave Soul... (And Ep. 391!)  (Read 9847 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Cast of Wonders 355: Artemis Rising 5 – Why I Spared the One Brave Soul Between Me and My Undead Army.

Also, Episode 391! A Staff Pick for 2019! Hosted by Audio Producer Jeremy Carter!

• Author: Setsu Uzumé
• Narrator: Katherine Inskip
• Artemis Rising 5 Artist: Yuumei
• Host, Episode 391: Jeremy Carter
• Host, Episode 355: KB Sluss
• Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter

"Why I Spared the One Brave Soul Between Me and My Undead Army" is a Cast of Wonders original.

Click here to listen to Episode 391
Click here to listen to Episode 355

I am loathe to admit that the ambush was masterful. Not only had the bounty hunters slain my contacts, but they had done so in the right order — dispatching the Ritualist before she had any corpses to animate. Had I come on horseback, they would have had me, too.

In addition to my dead allies and their hobbled wagon, I counted four hunters lumbering through the dark. Big lads, experienced and well-equipped, but given the style of their breastplates they had come from the west — tracking the cultists and not me. It made them slow and ill-prepared to face me in my glory. I whirled, my shadow splitting off to pierce kidneys and slice the backs of their knees while I led them a merry dance through dead leaves and bracken. One of them even turned, his blade slashing a wide arc, but shadows have no heads to remove. Him, I killed the quickest.

Tags: army, Artemis Rising 5, Cast of Wonders, challenge, child, cultists, Fantasy, fight another day, Jeremy Carter, Katherine Inskip, KB Sluss, magic, mercy, necromancer, nemesis, Setsu Uzumé, Staff Picks, stubborn, Trans Visibility, Young Adult fiction, Yuumei
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 04:07:47 AM by Languorous Lass »

emilys

• Palmer
Loved it! One of my favorite Cast of Wonders stories.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
This was a fantastic story. There is not enough badass necromancer representation out there in the world. I also love how it had a solid message, but never lost sight of weaving a good tale. I'd read more grim pulpy fiction like this.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Languorous Lass

I’m a sucker for Setsu Uzume!  So glad to experience a story they wrote.