Author Topic: PseudoPod 643: HORROR COMEDY SHOWCASE: The City of the Gone Away  (Read 1076 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 643: HORROR COMEDY SHOWCASE: The City of the Gone Away

Author: Ambrose Bierce
Narrator: B.J. Harrison
Host: Alex Hofelich

“The City of the Gone Away” was first published as “The Gone Away: A Tale of Medical Science and Commercial Thrift” in the San Francisco Examiner, December 2, 1888.

I was born of poor because honest parents, and until I was twenty-three years old never knew the possibilities of happiness latent in another person’s coin. At that time Providence threw me into a deep sleep and revealed to me in a dream the folly of labor. “Behold,” said a vision of a holy hermit, “the poverty and squalor of your lot and listen to the teachings of nature. You rise in the morning from your pallet of straw and go forth to your daily labor in the fields. The flowers nod their heads in friendly salutation as you pass. The lark greets you with a burst of song. The early sun sheds his temperate beams upon you, and from the dewy grass you inhale an atmosphere cool and grateful to your lungs. All nature seems to salute you with the joy of a generous servant welcoming a faithful master. You are in harmony with her gentlest mood and your soul sings within you. You begin your daily task at the plow, hopeful that the noonday will fulfill the promise of the morn, maturing the charms of the landscape and confirming its benediction upon your spirit. You follow the plow until fatigue invokes repose, and seating yourself upon the earth at the end of your furrow you expect to enjoy in fulness the delights of which you did but taste.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?