Author Topic: Steps to Reveal a Monster  (Read 3180 times)

eroomtam

on: January 04, 2008, 03:56:37 PM
I am writing a few stories that have to do with supernatural monsters and am toying with how to do the reveals.  These are longer stories (~10K words), so I want to do the reveals in stages.  My thinking is 3 steps:
1) Show the monster to establish that it does exist and is a threat in order to build tension
2) Protaganists interacts/faces the monster to establish the "rules" of the monster, plus continue the tention
3) Protaganist battles the monster and defeats it

However, does anyone know of any guidelines, suggestions or techniques for how to maintain tension, allow the reader to learn how the "rules" of the monster, and keep a good narrative flow?  I want to avoid (1) bogging the reader down with rules of the monster too early, but (2) also allow the reader to understand what is at stake and how the hero can defeat the monster.

Examples from pop culture would be appreciated to demonstrate one's point.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:29:42 PM
Watch a few episodes of CBS's "Criminal Minds" and replace "serial killer" with "supernatural monster".

An episode of the show "Supernatural" may work even better.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:06 PM
An episode of the show "Supernatural" may work even better.

Ditto, the X-Files.  (Less the mythology episodes and more the stand-alone episodes.)

I don't know of any rules, per se, but I think tension usually builds better when it costs the protagonist something.  It could be a near-mortal wound or the loss of a friend or loved one , or the threat of some kind of loss, or loss of some kind of humanity to defeat the monster.

As far as pop cultural examples, YMMV, so I suggest studying the things you like and figuring out how the authors/directors/screenwriters succeeded in ratcheting up the tension.  It's the most fun research you'll ever have --and lucky for you, because the research never seems to end ;) 

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:18:25 PM
I am writing a few stories that have to do with supernatural monsters and am toying with how to do the reveals.  These are longer stories (~10K words), so I want to do the reveals in stages.  My thinking is 3 steps:
1) Show the monster to establish that it does exist and is a threat in order to build tension
2) Protaganists interacts/faces the monster to establish the "rules" of the monster, plus continue the tention
3) Protaganist battles the monster and defeats it

However, does anyone know of any guidelines, suggestions or techniques for how to maintain tension, allow the reader to learn how the "rules" of the monster, and keep a good narrative flow?  I want to avoid (1) bogging the reader down with rules of the monster too early, but (2) also allow the reader to understand what is at stake and how the hero can defeat the monster.

Examples from pop culture would be appreciated to demonstrate one's point.

Jaws is effectively a textbook for how to do this.  Also, when Cloverfield's released on the 18th, give that a look.  Or watch one of my all time favourite monster movies, The Relic.

In podcasty terms, listen to Earthcore by Scott Sigler.  The slow reveal on what the monsters are and how to stop them in that is incredibly well done.

Hope that helps:)