Author Topic: Thanks, and some comments  (Read 12492 times)

KevinEA

• Extern
on: January 05, 2008, 06:18:07 AM
First, thank you Steve and the whomever helps you make Escape Pod.  It's my favorite podcast by far, and is really well done.  It's obvious that you enjoy doing it.  I hope you get some significant financial reward from it too; it's certainly warranted and would inspire others to get into creating such high quality programming.

One minor suggestion: when you review past episodes on your podcast, it would help if you were to give a one- or two-sentence plot summary before going into the comments.  Sometimes, I'm listening a few weeks in arrears, and in any case I often can't remember an episode just by its name.  Just something to jog the memory, not a spoiler (in case I haven't heard the episode in question yet), would be great.

Another comment is that some of the narrators have very heavy accents, which detracts from the experience for me.  The nature of podcast listening is that it's often done in noisy places, on the run, exercising, coffee shops, etc., and battling a heavy accent is a turn off.  I realize that this is an American-centric comment, but there's not much I can do (except turn up the volume).

Thanks again,  and keep up the great work!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 04:28:23 PM
Welcome, Kevin!  Hope you'll have a chance to explore the forums and enjoy some of the discussions behind the stories.  It's always amazing how people will come away from the same experience with wildly different impressions.

Like this one...

I love the various accents.  For me, they often add a dimension to the story that would be lacking if Steve read every story himself.  Names and examples are escaping me at the moment, and I'm FAR too lazy to go looking up my past favorites, but I can safely say that I haven't yet heard a reader who lacked clear diction or who spoke so strangely as to be indecipherable. 

Of course, I used to be a military linguist, and at one point I did work for a Scotsman who had a lisp and threw "fookin" at odd intervals into every utterance.  So I've had professional training at this.

But trust me, Kevin (and those who agree with him) once you have trained your ear to understand these accents, you will find that you have broadened your world in a very rewarding way.

And you won't fall for that Wayne's World "Asphinctersayswhat?" gag ever again!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:37:45 PM
I can't say the accents bother me either. Then again, I watch BBC:A without the subtitles, even though they tell me to.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:05:09 PM
I can't say the accents bother me either. Then again, I watch BBC:A without the subtitles, even though they tell me to.

I think that the majority of British English that is shown on TV is understandable enough to Americans that they don't really need the subtitles.  The really heavy accents that some British folks have, at least as far as I've seen as an American, don't make it into the media that makes it over here.

(I don't have BBC:A, so I naturally could be wrong.)

I do watch a fair bit of British film and TV (ie, "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" and "Cashback" most recently) and while there was some "dialect", I didn't have trouble picking it up.

Perhaps because the two languages (British and American) derive from the same root (English), that makes it easier for me.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Russell Nash

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:17:51 AM

I think that the majority of British English that is shown on TV is understandable enough to Americans that they don't really need the subtitles.  The really heavy accents that some British folks have, at least as far as I've seen as an American, don't make it into the media that makes it over here.

I do watch a fair bit of British film and TV (ie, "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" and "Cashback" most recently) and while there was some "dialect", I didn't have trouble picking it up.

Perhaps because the two languages (British and American) derive from the same root (English), that makes it easier for me.

"Billy Elliot" is a great one for accent training.  It's real working class coal mining town accent.  My wife needed the subtitles.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:33:24 PM

"Billy Elliot" is a great one for accent training.  It's real working class coal mining town accent.  My wife needed the subtitles.

I would highly recommend that "Beginners" start with stuff like "Black Adder" (Rowan Atkinson NOT being the annoying Mr. Bean), "Fawlty Towers", and the Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare productions (Hamlet, Henry V, but especially Much Ado About Nothing).  The comedies have very clear diction throughout, and are generally engaging enough to help you relax into the speech patterns.  And even those strange folk who don't care for Monty Python tend to like "Fawlty"; John Cleese is certainly a paragon of spoken English... even when he's spluttering with rage and smiting his car with a tree.  Heh, heh...

For the graduate course: Trainspotting.  The film is a crash course, but so is the book; to read it, you really have to be able to hear like a Glaswegian (sp?) heroine addict.  Or were they in Edinburgh (which is, of course, pronounced more like "ED-in-bruh")?  looks it up Edinburgh.  But I don't know how to form the possessive of a resident Edinburgh... Edinburghian?  Edinburghite?  Edinburghoisie?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 02:43:02 PM
For the graduate course: Trainspotting.  The film is a crash course, but so is the book; to read it, you really have to be able to hear like a Glaswegian (sp?) heroine addict.  Or were they in Edinburgh (which is, of course, pronounced more like "ED-in-bruh")?  looks it up Edinburgh.  But I don't know how to form the possessive of a resident Edinburgh... Edinburghian?  Edinburghite?  Edinburghoisie?

Edinburgher?  :)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Russell Nash

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 04:57:10 PM

I've eaten one of those.  They're best if you get them with cheese.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 01:52:17 AM

I've eaten one of those.  They're best if you get them with cheese.

Just don't get the Scouser cheese... it's a bit smeggy.

(Which reminds me... add Red Dwarf to my list!  Duh!)

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 11:19:49 AM
For the graduate course: Trainspotting.  The film is a crash course, but so is the book; to read it, you really have to be able to hear like a Glaswegian (sp?) heroine addict. 
yeah, i put that one away after about three pages.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 03:31:41 PM
For the graduate course: Trainspotting.  The film is a crash course, but so is the book; to read it, you really have to be able to hear like a Glaswegian (sp?) heroine addict. 

Have you tried reading Feersum Endjinn (Iain M. Banks)?   Along the lines of Flowers for Algernon, it is mostly told from the point of view of a simple-minded acolyte lost in the ruins of a decaying society.  I don't remember a particular accent, but trying to read an illiterate narrator was a challenge!

eytanz

Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 03:48:21 PM

Have you tried reading Feersum Endjinn (Iain M. Banks)?   Along the lines of Flowers for Algernon, it is mostly told from the point of view of a simple-minded acolyte lost in the ruins of a decaying society.  I don't remember a particular accent, but trying to read an illiterate narrator was a challenge!

Well, since the spelling in Feersum Endjinn is phonetic, it's actually pretty clear that the narrator has a mainstream British accent.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 10:24:36 PM
well, this topic made me give trainspotting (the book) another try. Not saying I'm loving it, but at least I got to page 80 without throwing the book against the wall ;-)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:49:42 PM
well, this topic made me give trainspotting (the book) another try. Not saying I'm loving it, but at least I got to page 80 without throwing the book against the wall ;-)

w00t!   :)

I enjoyed it very much when I read it, but then again, I was under extreme conditions; mid-watch, nothing to do, not allowed to sleep, 4 cups of coffee on a given night... and I was surrounded by British blokes (including the aforementioned lisping Scot), which probably helped key the ear in on the dialogue.

Hope you enjoy it... if not, blame ...um, Russell! ;)

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 12:21:31 PM

I enjoyed it very much when I read it, but then again, I was under extreme conditions; mid-watch, nothing to do, not allowed to sleep, 4 cups of coffee on a given night... and I was surrounded by British blokes (including the aforementioned lisping Scot), which probably helped key the ear in on the dialogue.

It's a little known fact that I rewrote all of the dialogue in that book.

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 02:05:32 PM

Wow, that explains the weirdness. And I tried to make sense of it with Normal-people-Logic. If I had known I had to use Russel-Logic...

Russell Nash

Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 04:37:42 PM

Wow, that explains the weirdness. And I tried to make sense of it with Normal-people-Logic. If I had known I had to use Russel-Logic...

It's Nash-Dogma.  My people have founded a church in my name.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 03:10:22 AM
Dang.  I think we must have scared off poor Kevin.  I swear I was trying to be welcoming and gentle...

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 09:41:20 AM
Dang.  I think we must have scared off poor Kevin.  I swear I was trying to be welcoming and gentle...

I think this helps explain your early dating life.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 12:49:43 PM

Double dang.  You've been reading my blog!

Russell Nash

Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 02:06:31 PM

Just looking at your avatar.  Mine however shows the cute smile that has always had the girls swooning.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 06:04:31 PM
Just looking at your avatar.  Mine however shows the cute smile that has always had the girls swooning.
I don't think they were swooning.  I think they were passing out from terror.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Russell Nash

Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 07:56:22 PM
oh, come on,  My beady eyes and green scales work wonders on the babes.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 12:52:25 AM
...if you count shudders, blanching, and loosening of bowels as "wonders"...

Russell Nash

Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 12:11:33 PM
Swooning, passing out, What's the difference?

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 04:41:34 AM
If they wake up smiling it's swooning.
If they wake up screaming in terror it's passing out.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 02:55:08 PM
If they don't wake up, then Zombie Russell ate their brains.   (Should I go for the "weeping and Nashing of teeth" joke?  I think not...)

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 05:44:05 PM
It is right and good that the unworthy should faint, for is written in the Book of N-sh that not all are prepared to look upon His True Visage.

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?