Author Topic: EP684: Origami Angels  (Read 1644 times)

divs

on: July 12, 2019, 08:16:50 PM
Escape Pod 684: Origami Angels

Author : Derek Lubangakene
Narrator : Peter Behravesh
Host : Alasdair Stuart
Audio Producer : Summer Brooks

Originally published in Omenana Speculative Fiction Magazine (April 2018)

---

When I was eleven, my best friend could kill you with a handshake.

He almost killed me the first time we met. On that fateful day, I was out of class having been caught passing a chit in Mr. Mboyo’s maths test. Given the choice between touching my toes and receiving canes, or getting reported to my mum, the schoolmistress, I chose being reported. I knew my mum would be too busy to punish me if I kept out of sight. I might still get suspended, or have to dig an anthill, or sweep all the classrooms in our block, but all that was nothing compared to Mr. Mboyo caning you.

Mr. Mboyo, afraid of the endless drizzle outside, scribbled a chit and sent me to the admin block. On the way to mum’s office I branched off into the library a.k.a. the computer lab. The 6E kids, busy thumbing keyboards and squinting at computer screens, didn’t pay me any attention as I sneaked behind the wobbly chairs on my way to the stairs at the end of the narrow church-like room. It was a miracle I escaped Mrs. Nadya’s all-seeing gaze. I locked the creaky door behind me, and climbed to the roof.

No teachers ever came to the roof. It overlooked the school farm, and if the wind was strong, it smelled like manure. It was the last place my mum would send a prefect to search for me. You could spend the whole day there and no one would ever bother you. Problem was I was so restless, I always got bored.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 09:27:17 PM
I enjoyed this story. It was very low-key. I'm not sure if I liked that about the ending, or didn't like that about the ending. Either way, I enjoyed the story overall.