Author Topic: PseudoPod 640: ARTEMIS RISING 5: What Throat  (Read 3983 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: March 27, 2019, 04:05:53 AM
PseudoPod 640: ARTEMIS RISING 5: What Throat

Author: Annie Neugebauer
Narrators: Dagny Paul and Stephanie Malia Morris
Host: Tonia Thompson

PseudoPod 640: ARTEMIS RISING 5: What Throat is a PseudoPod original.

Show Notes

This episode of PseudoPod is brought to you by AMC Shudder. Check out Shudder’s great content at shudder.com and use promo code pseudopod for a free 30-day trial. What’s waiting for you in this trial? Shudder is a premium streaming video service, super-serving fans of all degrees with the best selection of horror and thrillers. Not only classics you know and love, but a couple less visible gems that we want to draw your attention to.

Firstly, The Old Dark House is a classic horror film created just before the Hays Code dropped, so there’s some content that is particularly shocking for its 1932 release date. This also was inspirational for a young Ray Bradbury and his Uncle Einar stories, which were inspirational for the artist Charles Addams. Secondly, Murder Party is an exceptional entry in the black humor end of the genre, made all the more striking if you know any struggling creatives. I first saw this at a horror film festival wearing my Army of Darkness shirt. One of the filmmakers greeted me at the door, and noting the shirt, assured me I would love their film. They were not wrong.

The thing I’m most looking forward to is the Shudder original series released this week — Critters: A New Binge. I have an arguably unreasonable affection for the Critters franchise, as they indelibly scarred me as a kid. Head over to shudder.com and use promo code pseudopod for a free 30-day trial.

It was embarrassingly easy to get lost. Even for someone like Jo, who was familiar with hiking and knew better than to make the mistakes she made. She’d always heard it was easier than you think; now she finally believed it. A bit of distraction. Forging ahead when something niggled in the back of her head that maybe this wasn’t the right way. Turning around instead of pushing forward. Dark creeping in. Paths blurring with natural breaks in the trees. And all of a sudden – not suddenly at all – she couldn’t ignore the worry in the back of her head that whispered, _I don’t know where I am anymore._

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:28:01 PM
This is one of the best monsters I've read in years.  I liked that we started with Jo and cut away like a horror movie just late enough that the audience doesn't know itself if she is or isn't dead.  Having her as a sympathetic character first also helped break up the standard third-act introduction of the mysterious stranger to trigger the endgame of the plot.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 08:55:14 PM
Good episode. I liked the use of multiple narrators. Is the page for this episode down? I downloaded it yesterday and I decided to go back and read the story this morning, but couldn't access it.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 12:57:28 AM
The whole PseudoPod site was down for a bit yesterday, but it seems to be back up now

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 02:28:34 PM
Awesome. Thanks!