Author Topic: PseudoPod 662: Indian Giver  (Read 2157 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: August 29, 2019, 02:35:19 AM
PseudoPod 662: Indian Giver

Author: Ray Cluley
Narrator: Jonathan Danz
Host: Alex Hofelich

‘Indian Giver’ first appeared in the collection, Probably Monsters, in 2015. It was reprinted in Ellen Datlow’s The Best Horror of the Year (Volume 8).

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Show Notes
Subscribe to the British Fantasy Award nominated newsletter, The Full Lid by Alasdair Stuart.

Every man carries his share of ghosts, but there are those who listen to them more than others. That was Grady’s opinion, anyways. And most of those listenin’ didn’t much like what they heard; that was his opinion, too. So he wasn’t surprised to see Tom stumblin’ across the darkening yard towards him. If he was surprised at all it was only that it had taken the man so long.

The taming of the wild west was something Grady never saw—he was a proper lieutenant, not a glorified book-keep or ledger-maker  —but even so, all he saw of the west was tired and worn down. Land and people. Native people, mostly, but Tom carried the same look himself right now. He had something in his hand that was supposed to be Tennessee whiskey but probably wasn’t. It would taste right, though. And they’d drink it down just fine. A tale of woe was best punctuated with whiskey.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 06:05:00 PM
This was a tough episode to listen to (and necessary). The recounting of the roundup was chilling. I can't say I enjoyed the story -- I'm glad I listened to it and let it sink in. .......Grady & Tom on the porch... not expecting absolution.....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:22:26 PM by Scuba Man »

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 06:35:00 PM
Timestamp ~34:05 ...ugly themes... Yep. :(

The 'outro' was damn interesting and I'm glad you brought it to our attention. The Hugo-Loosers-Party without the participants (it's Escape Artists for f@@k's sakes... the doorman didn't clue in?!). Who the hell was let in? ...the hanger-ons?

Mr. Steward... I'm thankful that you keep this entity creeping along. I have never once regretted my monetary contributions!

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Metalsludge

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 04:44:48 PM
Having recently read a first hand account of the round up to start off the Trail of Tears in one of the news magazines I follow that referenced it, this story sounded pretty familiar. I like that the story clarifies that many natives by that time would have just been on ordinary homesteads, sometimes prosperous, and we're simply having their stuff taken, as this was often the case in real life.

Seems like there is always something to take, and somebody to take it, in history. Any excuse will do.

The story had the makings of a basic ghost story, but there was something pretty engaging to its narrative, and it sums up well in the end as the supernatural elements creep in.

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:48:01 AM
Nicely done. A tough story whose horror was almost as much from the one participant not wanting to hear it but making himself listen, as it was from the grisly details themselves.
Narration was spot on!
Well done all.

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 12:39:58 PM
A good old fashioned supernatural vengeance story. I enjoyed it.