Author Topic: ?? Did something change with the feed? Can't download.  (Read 15880 times)

Gary

• Peltast
on: October 17, 2019, 09:35:54 PM
Hi.
Was wondering if something changed with the Escape Pod feed starting with Martian Chronicles part#2 ?
Starting with that Ep and the next, when I try to download in iTunes I just get an error.
Pseudopod downloads just fine but not so much with Escape Pod.  :P

Any thoughts?
Gary
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:33:57 AM by Gary »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:45:06 AM
I'm running into the same issue. I wonder if it's something related to the new apple podcasts "upgrade."

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:33:38 AM
Another data point ... I went into iTunes Store on my laptop, found Escape Pod and I can "play" all of the episodes EXCEPT for Episode 701.
So this makes me think there is something wrong with the file.

Update 10/18/19 - The new Escape Pod Ep#702 has appeared in my feed ... it will not download either.
As a test I went over to Pod Castle and the latest Ep downloaded like a charm. It JUST SEEMS TO BE ESCAPE POD.

Is anyone looking into this?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:16:07 PM by Gary »

divs

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 10:00:00 PM
Hi Gary,

We haven't heard of this issue before, but we'll look into it!

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 02:04:56 PM
Hi All.
Just as an update, I signed onto iTunes just now and the latest Psuedopod Ep auto downloaded, smooth as silk.
Then it tried to download Episode 702 of Escape pod and failed.

I have restarted this laptop a few times now in the hopes it might clear this up but it hasn't. Wondering if there is some secret pointer somewhere that I need to manually find and erase. Something that got corrupted the first time the download failed and is now haunting me.

Any thoughts?

FURTHER UPDATE -
I did a whole new subscription to https://feeds.feedburner.com/Escapepod because I saw some chatter in back posts about feed changes. Achieved the subscription but STILL Escape Pod won't download any episodes after #700

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:24:14 PM by Gary »

divs

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 04:52:31 PM
Gary, playing those files from inside the iTunes Store works, and playing those files from the Feedburner page directly via a web browser also works for us. Does this work for you?

If you are using iTunes, have you tried to unsubscribe from the feed you have now, then go into the iTunes Store, and resubscribe from the iTunes show page?
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/escape-pod/id73329293

This will ensure that you're using the correct feed.

Thanks for updating us on your troubles. We hope this solves your subscription woes!

nickpheas

• Extern
Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:44:31 PM
Playing from within the store does not work for me.

Playing from the website does.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 09:55:02 PM by nickpheas »

divs

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 06:33:16 PM
Hi nickpheas, if possible, could you provide a little more detail on what happens when you try to play it from the store? We're not seeing any problems when we try it so it's challenging to troubleshoot.

nickpheas

• Extern
Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 10:26:08 PM
If I go to the store and play then I get the episode details appearing on the to so

Escape Pod 701: Martin Chronicles (Part 2 of 2)
Cory Doctrow (author); Adam Pracht (narrator) - Escape Pod
0:00                                                                             1:07:39

but it does not play anything. Will not move off 0:00

I pick an older episode ie 699 then I get an 'Opening URL' dialog box which says connecting and hangs there for just long enough to make me think it's also borked, but then disappears and the episode starts playing Al's dulcet tones.

Actually trying to download one of the recent episodes and I get a message box popping up saying

There was a problem downloading

"Escape Pod 701: Martian Chronicles (Part 2 of 2)". An unknown error occurred (0x80090302).

Please check that the URL is correct and the connection to the network is active and try again

Since I can download the older episodes using this RSS then I figure both those things are true.

I an using iTunes 7.6 on a Windows 10 machine. Yes I know that there are later versions. I also know that they are horrible. The latest in particular would reset the music library location from my nice big data drive to my small and nimble SSD every other day. Do not want to go there.

Summer

• Autarch
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 05:31:34 PM
Hi Nick,

unfortunately, I believe the problem you're having is because of the age of the software and the updates Apple has made to their store over the intervening years.

The error message you included is specifically related to iTunes not being able to handle file formats that changed from the older editions of the Apple Store and the newer versions.

See here: https://allthings.how/fix-itunes-error-0x80090302-windows-10/

Even though this article deals with this error msg and iTunes 12, doing searches on "+itunes unknown error (0x80090302)" will return a large number of results saying the same thing... it's an issue with Windows 10, several different versions of iTunes between version 7 and version 12 and how they interact with Apple.

This issue is not because of any updates or changes to the EP feed, and is not something we can address.

nickpheas

• Extern
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 07:09:36 PM
Interestingly the latest episode 708 seems to have downloaded just fine. So there's just an annoying gap. Episodes can be downloaded and loaded into iTunes manually, it's just a bit of a bore.