Author Topic: EP713: More Tomorrow  (Read 1182 times)

divs

on: January 13, 2020, 12:31:00 AM
Escape Pod 713: More Tomorrow

Author: Premee Mohamed
Narrator: Dani Daly
Host: Tina Connolly
Audio Producer: Adam Pracht

More Tomorrow was first published in Automata Review, March 2018.

---

Content Warning: A few grade-A curses.

DAY 5

Anyway, it turns out trilobites aren’t very good eating even if you haven’t eaten in days. I had particularly high hopes for the fat, humped asaphids, thinking they would taste like shrimp, but everything I’ve caught so far is strictly armor and attitude, plus they bite. Discovered this morning that if you just hoik a trilobite in the fire and assume terminal temperature, it crawls out and shakes itself off like a little tank. Complete decapitation required. PAPER IDEA: Mechanisms of apparent trilobite invincibility. They’re not strictly aquatic, either, they come right up on land and look at you while you’re eating their friends. Jesus.

Also cut my fingers to shit butchering the first one; to be honest, it was hard to tell who was butchering who.  Easier going now since I chipped an axe out of a piece of blue flint that I found a ways up the beach. Poor replacement for the one we lost, but it cracks the armor at least, and then you can roast them without explosions and shrapnel. Still have to cut them up to get the few calories worth of meat inside though . They’re survival food. A couple more days and I’m going after some of those big meaty arthrodires though, the ones I can see gliding through the crystal-clear water with little signs on their back saying “EAT ME.” I’m already tired of trilobite though not yet tired of surviving.

Note: Can I eat any of these algal mats. Different from seaweed at sushi restaurant how exactly.

Listen to this week's EscapePod.
Follow us on YouTube and Spotify!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:34:19 AM by divs »

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 04:05:50 PM
Love the twist at the end. Very well played.